Rabbits keep emptying toilet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allyhattage

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've got a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with :)

We have a couple of mini-lops. They have their own hutch in the living room (open all day) and they are free running inside and out on the terrace. Their toilet habits are great and they never have any issues. They know where to go and they usually do it good.

The problem we have is that when we change their toilet litter one of the rabbits jumps in the toilet and empties the whole thing out on to the floor. We politely explain this isn't good, and put it all back in. Then he does it again, etc etc etc. We make it clear to him it's not good but he does it anyway. This behaviour usually stops in about half a day then it's fine until we change the toilet again.

Does anyone know why he might be doing this or what the potential solution might be?

Apart from this they are super well behaved and great.

Thanks!

What do you mean by “empty the toilet”? Does he dig all the litter out. Or literally tip the whole box over on the floor? In either scenario I think you probably need to buy a bigger (heavier) high sided litter box to solve the issue~

Explaining things sadly doesn’t work for buns but if digging is the issue consider maybe consider giving him something that more fun (and easier to clean) that he can dig so he’s less likely to dig the litter (if that’s how he’s emptying the litter box).

:)

Sorry for the bad explanation and thanks for the answer!

He sits in the box and throws it out by a digging motion between his legs. Both bunnies have an outdoor sand digging box that they enjoy. And he only does it when the litter has been replaced. I was wondering if it was some sort of scent issue and was considering keeping some of the old litter in with the new litter so they don't see it as something new maybe.

I use a very deep pan full of newspaper shreds--they can dig all they want and it's easy to pick up and put back. You could put the pan inside of a tall cardboard box with an entry hole to try and keep the litter more contained--rabbits are diggers after all.

Latest posts

Back