Rabbits Ignoring Each Other

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
I recently rescued an older bunny (Pup, 6y) to bond with my very old blind boy (Jackson, 9) who lost both his mates last year. Since my old man isn’t aggressive or territorial in the slightest, bonding him has never been hard. The new bunny I have found isn’t territorial either so I’ve been letting them roam around in my room together while I’m home and putting the old blind man away when I’m not. Other than a few minutes of mounting on day one, there’s been minimal interaction between the two boys. After about two weeks, I’ve moved them into the bunny room last night since they don’t mind sharing a space, and other than eating together, there’s nothing. Not even really sniffing each other beyond a passing acknowledgement. There’s no grooming, no stomps, no mounting, no curiosity about the other, they really just don’t seem to care at all. I’m beginning to worry they just won’t click.
I read that it takes dogs about 3 months to settle into a new home after being adopted, I don’t know if the same or similar holds true for rabbits so I don’t want to give up on this little guy too soon. I’m hoping after he really gets settled in, the boys will spend more time getting to know each other. Is there anything I can do to help them bond for now?

If they are ignoring each other, that is a good sign! That means they are fine with each other (for the moment). If they are doing well (as in no fighting or thumping) then consider yourself lucky. They are doing just fine. Just leave them be. They may get closer as time goes on, but if they are ok in each other's presence, then that is great.

Latest posts

Back