Rabbit's hormones

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinto

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I hope you all are enjoying the life with your bunnies. For me there are so many new things to know and to handle. Once I resolve one issue, there is immediately a new one. But I will do my best so far as I can.

My today's problem or question is the eternal topic of rabbit's sexual behavior, frustration, spaying etc. My buck (7 months-old now) has not been aggressive, hasn't sprayed urine anywhere except of his litter box and its surroundings, so I considering letting him intact unless there are some troubles. However, recently I realized a strange behavior, which I considered first a sign of being affectionate and liking me, or asking for a treat. After petting him, which he likes a lot, he usually circles around me, jumping over my legs, climbing on me and eventually nips (?) on my forearms. I thought he didn't like the fabric of the sleeves, so I started wearing something sleeveless when playing with him and at first he was so cute, playing with the hairs on my arm, not really biting but touching it with his chin. I simply thought he was excited about playing with me or maybe was rewarding me for the grooming. But it's getting more and more intense, he is trying to get my arm under is head and front legs. I looked for it and it seems it more kind of humping ;) When I turn him around I can clearly see his "thing" which usually remains hidden inside.

I'd probably rather get him spayed. Is it too late now??? Or is it only a seasonal thing that will stop later during the year? I know it's hormonal and hence completely natural, but I also feel a bit hurt because I am realizing that it's not actually me whom he likes.

If you get him neutered then all of this behavior will stop. So, I would recommend getting him neutered

Thank you so much. And sorry, I realized that I used the wrong word... ;) I wanted to say "neuter" instead of "spay". I just took an appointment for the next Tuesday... I hope it will work.

If it is spring in Japan, it could be a bit of 'spring fever' where buns can have a bit of a surge of hormonal/nesting type behavior, that settles down once spring has passed. But at 7 months old it's pretty typical behavior for a buck. He does like you, but also male rabbits can just be so hormonal they can't help themselves. It's their natural behavior. Getting him neutered will remove that element and you will get to see his true personality. But you do want to find the best rabbit vet available to you. Though neutering is a less invasive surgery than a spay and generally considered safe, any surgery carries risks so it's best to make this decision understanding that though there are minimal risks, there are still risks involved any time anesthesia is used.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

If you aren't sure of going ahead with the neuter, you can try offering him a stuffed animal to take his sexual frustrations out on, but that may or may not solve the issue.

Latest posts

Back