Rabbits going to fair.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the entire reason we got rabbits was so my cousin could show them at fair. It's a long story.. But now I have these bunnies, and they're my babies, and they live in my room free range, litter box trained, run to greet me, nap in bed with me, spoiled rabbits.
When the idea was brought up to me again a month ago, I was completely against taking them to fair. But I was told that they have to go. I'm a little worried about them being in a cage in the heat for 7 days when they're so used to having so much space to roam, and AC, and me.
Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure they're as comfortable as possible and not stressed out all week? Will they hate me after? I know Melvin can hold a grudge lol.

I assume they’re going to fair to be judged in competition? If so, they will most likely blow their coat when they go from A/C to open air cages. I would expect them to have large fans there but it will still be a temp change. If you have an exercise pen or an enclosure you can start putting them in, to get used to being in a small area, do that. Slowly lengthen the time they’re in it and reduce the size some each time also. Will they be in separate cages or all together? How old are they?

Good luck!! i hope all goes well!! i know at the fairs around here where i live they take the buns out and let people hold and pet them if the owner of the bun is okay with it...

They turned a year in January. I don't know yet if they'll be separated, but if I can get them in the same cage that's what id like because they're bonded. They're from the same litter and have literally never been away from each other. I even take them to vet appointments together. I do have an ex-pen that i try to take them out in for a few hours whenever i have time.

You didn’t say if they’ll be there just for display, or to be judged. They need to be used to being handled if they’ll be judged. Putting a zip tie or small lock on the cage door will keep the public from thinking they can open it to pet them.

They will be judged one day and be on display for the rest of the week. They will only be handled by my cousin, myself and the judge, But they are used to being handled. I try my best to handle them every day. And I let others hold and pet them when we go out and they seem to like the attention lol. I will do the zip tie thing though, that's a good idea for when I can't be there. I've decided to take the week off of work so I can be there with them and make sure they're okay and taken care of up to my standards.

I show cattle for 4-H and this year rabbits too, whenever we are showing at a local fair we are there from 6:00 am to 11:00pm and we do this for about three days. You'll have all this time to play with your rabbits and you can get a leash to let them hop around. What we do when its hot outside is freeze about 10 water bottles the night before and put one in until it melts, this will cool them down throughout the day. Good luck in competition!!!

-blinks and raises hand- Question, since they are your rabbits now it sounds like, and you are taking care of them, and they are your rabbits, do your cousins help you take care of them? Are they responsible for them at all? If not, then what reason do they have to take the rabbits to the fair? If they win a ribbon it isn't because of their hard work, but yours so YOU would get that prize right? It's a pet peeve of mine for someone to try to take credit that they didn't deserve is all. I do agree with Americanbluevelvets though that sounds like a fantastic idea!

Latest posts

Back