Rabbits Eating Their Young

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huntress wrote:
You don't leave it in long enough to attract maggots. Andyou only use maybe a quarter to a half piece at a time. Take it out thenext morning, if she didn't kindle you put in a fresh piece.
LOL! Yes, just common sense. We digressed to icky bug talkmore than the issue at hand, sorry!

Does eating their young due to a nutritional deficiency is quite interesting. Years ago I did have a couple of does(unfortunately) resort to eating their young...also had it with mice I kept as pets when I was a teen. I suspect it could be due to various factors...perhaps nutrition, perhaps the threat of predators nearby (to which I've heard it could be (a) ridding the nest of the young in order to protect herself from being discovered; or (b) a way of 'protecting' the young...an old theory), perhaps the fact that the doe, as a first-time mother, doesn't quite have the maternal instinct of what to do. I've heard that many times it will happen with first litters but not with subsequent ones.

I've never heard of that trick with the bacon...that's pretty interesting too...

Latest posts

Back