Rabbit's chewing my hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschams

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My six week old rabbit just started chewing the hutch and I am concerned that it will eventually break. I tried spraying where he chews with vinegar, and it doesn't seem to help. What can I do?

Hi! My buns are also avid chewers and I know how annoying it can get! Some rabbits also tend to chew if their area is too small, how big is the hutch? And does he get play time outside? The way I decreased the chewing was by providing lots of chew toys and constantly topping up hay, as I found they were chewing out of boredom, so perhaps try looking into some willow chew toys and seagrass mats for him to try.

101Rabbits have some great toys on their shop- 101Rabbits

BinkyBunny also has chew toys- BinkyBunny Store

Here's a useful vid on how to tame destructive behaviour-

Hope this helps!

Hi! My buns are also avid chewers and I know how annoying it can get! Some rabbits also tend to chew if their area is too small, how big is the hutch? And does he get play time outside? The way I decreased the chewing was by providing lots of chew toys and constantly topping up hay, as I found they were chewing out of boredom, so perhaps try looking into some willow chew toys and seagrass mats for him to try.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much and I will try everything you said!

Is your rabbit indoors or outdoors?

What works for me with wooden outdoor hutches is mounting a soft wood board on the inside of the doors, at an convinient height to chew on. Some sacrifice boards where he likes to chew might deter him. Also, painting wood parts with diluted rabbit urine and rinsing them works for me, normally they don't chew soiled stuff and their noses are better than ours.

Another approach is to give him something to chew on that he likes better - like branches of willow, ash, forsithia, and some other trees.

I think they actually like vingar and deterrents like bitter apple sprays :D

Indoors, there is no way around bunny proofing.

Hope this helps!

I Love your buns picture. Adorable!

Latest posts

Back