Rabbits can have worms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
More a statement than a question. I did some googling after seeing one of Shen's droppings containing a not so hair-like thing. It's a worm. Thank goodness he has a vet appointment coming up. And I'll continue to monitor his droppings for anymore. I did find that part of expelling these for the most part is definitely their hay diet. Anyone else notice their bunnies having these?
IMG_20210305_235722.jpg

Rabbits can get pinworms. I worm them with fenbendazole. Can't remember the dose though.
I'll make sure to consult my vet first, as I don't want to give him something that can harm him if it's not needed. And I did make sure the vet is a rabbit vet. I already informed my husband to make sure he monitors Shen's droppings as well. Because if his droppings begin to show more than one, like if a single piece becomes overpopulated, then it becomes very alarming.

Pinworms are one of the more common parasites that can happen with rabbits. Though usually more with rabbits living or allowed time outdoors on the ground, as they are more exposed to parasites this way. Since your bun is fairly new to you, I would suspect he came to you with them. Pretty easily treated. Your vet can administer the wormer at the appointment, then give you another dose to give 2 weeks later.

Unless it's a very heavy worm load, usually it's not going to cause any health issues. But things to watch out for would be reduced poop size, reduced appetite, and signs of belly discomfort. If you see those, then it would indicate the worms are significant enough to be causing health problems.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm (pinworms in rabbits)

Pinworms are one of the more common parasites that can happen with rabbits. Though usually more with rabbits living or allowed time outdoors on the ground, as they are more exposed to parasites this way. Since your bun is fairly new to you, I would suspect he came to you with them. Pretty easily treated. Your vet can administer the wormer at the appointment, then give you another dose to give 2 weeks later.

Unless it's a very heavy worm load, usually it's not going to cause any health issues. But things to watch out for would be reduced poop size, reduced appetite, and signs of belly discomfort. If you see those, then it would indicate the worms are significant enough to be causing health problems.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm (pinworms in rabbits)
Funny you should link that. That's how I found out what that was on his poop. That very website. But yes. I figured the vet would know more. Shen's appointment is on Wednesday (US time) and I will monitor any changes in his behavior and appetite. So far, he's still his cute, hyper self.

Because I forgot to bring up the pinworm in his poop, when the vet office called to check on Shen, we brought it up to them about it. Fortunately, we haven't seen too many of them, but the vet did request we get a sample if another appears and bring it in.
I like this vet, at the Pennyroyal here in Lexington.

What a comfort to know you got the Rx med from the DVM, and your boy's being treated. Not fun to have worms or parasitic eggs waiting to hatch.
I know, right? And since discovering them, I went and bought a vacuum that's designed for dealing with pet hair and such, so making sure his droppings that don't make it to the litterbox does get picked up by the vacuum and promptly tossed.

I know, right? And since discovering them, I went and bought a vacuum that's designed for dealing with pet hair and such, so making sure his droppings that don't make it to the litterbox does get picked up by the vacuum and promptly tossed.

I ended up buying a Shark Handheld which says it was made for pet hair. It's exclusively a poopie-vac.

I ended up buying a Shark Handheld which says it was made for pet hair. It's exclusively a poopie-vac.
I just now realized. Is that a play on words? That's great.

ALSO! Another update. Tu Shen did have a heavy load on one dropping between doses. Haven't seen any since, and not even after his last dose. His behavior is still the same as always, but I'm sticking to what I normally started doing. Vacuuming up poops not in his litterbox and checking his litter more often. Gotta make sure we don't get another re-infestation.

Latest posts

Back