Rabbits broken foot, please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumejad

Reaction score
I have a rabbit in Bosnia (Eastern Europe) that broke her foot today. My fiancé immediately took her to the nearest vet and they confirmed that her foot is indeed broken. They told my fiance that he has to go to a different vet tomorrow that MIGHT possibly have the appropriate materials to put on her foot and wrap it up so that it heals properly, they also told him that if they don't carry the appropriate materials, they would have to amputate her foot.
From the research I've done, I found that it is absolutely NOT neccessry to amputate her foot. There are various different methods the vet could use to heal a rabbits foot. Example; wrapping a cast around the foot and put something around it to stabilize and hold the foot until it heals completely. Altough I know it's not recommended, there's also the option of my fiancé getting the cast himself and treating her. We don't want to do that because he's not an expert and doesn't want to injure her even more. But if the vet refuses to cooperate with us and find a way to heal her broken foot, we have to take matters into our own hands and do it ourselves. Don't worry, we wouldn't do anything until we found out how to properly care for her foot by ourselves and will only do it if it's our final option. We refuse to have her foot amputated, that is out of the question. I'm willing to pay however much it costs to treat and heal her foot, she's my main priority. My fiancé will be at home all day for the next few weeks to care for her and make sure she doesn't cause any more injury to the foot. We're glad that she's able to eat normally. She moves around a little bit bit of course, she's not the energetic and happy rabbit we've grown to love. We're both absolutely devestated and heart broken that this happened to our sweetheart. I wish I could be in Europe with her right now. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, please reply below. Thank you!

Where is it broken exactly? If you google rabbit in a cast and look in images there are lots of bunnies in casts so I know its possible to put on a cast.

As for amputating, I had a rabbit whose foot had gotten caught in string and was left unattended long enough his back foot had to be amputated, he got around just fine

I currently have a rabbit, Benny, who has a crippled back leg and it doesn't bother him much. I mean he can't jump too high and when he runs he sometimes trips himself, but he's happy. I'm not saying amputate, but if it comes to that, your rabbit will be okay. He might trip a bit at first, but he'll get used to it.

where is the break?

If it's on the lower part of the foot put bunny in a small resting area for six weeks and it will heal well enough.

IF it's above the "ankle" then it will need to be set.

3 legged rabbits do do okay. Do you have a picture of the x-rays that show the break? Is she on any pain medication? Depending on where the break is, a splint might be an option but many fractures do require surgery. I definitely agree with the advice to keep her confined in the meantime before you can get a second opinion.

My brave little angel is home from the hospital and resting! 😇 She had to undergo a procedure to set her broken foot into place. She's still sleeping from the anesthesia. We were very lucky she didn't need surgery and our vet worked on her the best he could to set her broken foot into place. She broke a very small and fragile bone but the vet managed to work treat her without having to do surgery. She's going to be wearing the cast for 2 months and is going back for an evaluation afterwards. They had to shave her little foot hehe. This has been a traumatic experience for myself, my fiancé and our bunny. We are so thankful and happy for this outcome. She's been amazing throughout all the pain. I'm so proud of her! Words can't express my love for her! 😍😍❤️💗😘

That was yesterday..
They hd to take her back to the vet because she was making moaning noises while she was breathing as if she was in a lot of pain. 💔💔💔💔💔 idk why this has to be happening to my precious little baby. I don't understand why the vet didn't give her pain medication, I'm pretty sure they're suppose to. That makes me question the expertise of the vet 😒 I wish she was in the U.S. so I can find an expert vet that I know I can trust to treat her properly. This is just awful.

If it was in the foot then it might've healed on its own, with confinement. Our rabbit broke her ankle - it was wicked looking on the x-ray - we confined her to a very small cage and the vet gave us anti-inflammatories/pain meds for her. It healed fine over a period of 5-6 weeks.

I don't know why your rabbit was moaning but if it is in a lot of pain of course it should have proper pain meds. Also, after operations its important that the rabbit eats right after and drinks water. If it didn't then especially make sure you syringe electrolytes/fluids to hydrate 10ml/15ml every hour and once hydrated syringe some food like mushy pellets, applesauce, baby food.

I'm concerned why they would even be sending her home still knocked out from the anaesthetic? And with the fact that she is making noises from pain, that's terrible. Did they give you any pain killer when you went back? How is she doing today?

It has been my experience that bunnies do need to be kept comfortable so they do not give up. Give her anything she is willing to eat that isn't too sugary. I'm sending my love and prayers for your beautiful bunny.

Latest posts

Back