Rabbits being culled at Vancouver airport

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Toffee and Valentina -- In a conversation with Pipp of Rabbits Online. See Below. I would like to learn more about the sanctuary you mentioned for cats (when time allows).

---------------------------------------------

Here's comments from Sorelle.
... we've been rescuing ferals -- probably over 2000 now -- for the past decade and the majority, even the ones out there for years, friendly right up with treats. And they still don't go off to live in the woods or fields, they're burrowing under buildings and living in the busiest areas of the parks. We took 400 rabbits out of a 40 acre auto mall property that was asphalt, small patches of grass, hedgerows and a big chunk of wild area. They lived under the steps of the dealerships, in the parking lots and in the hedgerows. Not in the brush, the back lots or the ditches.

This dittos the experience hubby had capturing offspring of a dumped Easter bunny, abandoned back in 2005/2006.

Rescues on both sides of the country will comment on actions taken.

Please let me know, Toffee and Valentina, if there's a way you can collaborate with Sorelle on this matter.

Yes, sure, as I said, if anyone wants to tackle the issue in another way - go ahead and do it. Great. Just saying it could be done doesn't change anything.
That recreational center I mentioned could not afford the PR nightmare to hunt all those sweet little discarded pets, but they did a lot of damage like undermining buildings.

I am in BC and this is a horrible thing to come to light.
It amazes me how the YVR (Vancouver International Airport) could cull instead of relocate.
It annoys me that there are scads of babies being orphaned because their moms can't come back, due to these actions.
It has been said that if you feel so inclined to voice your dismay, you can contact the people responsible and express your opinion:

YVR: [email protected]
604-207-7077

FLNRORD: [email protected]
250-387-6240

Well said, @Momma Luvbun . The solution in small steps may be to cull the people continuing to abandon the domestic pets on the grounds. Make it law to spay/neuter. Make sure stores do not sell unaltered pets that humans later dump outdoors. Collaborate with humans who have solutions and will take time to remedy other than shooting all loose "cats and dogs".

Please keep me in the loop (here) if you find out more because Pipp made huge steps to relocate domestics dumped at other locations. This is an active discussion on Facebook groups who recognize the double-standard of dogs and cats can be rescued & cared for, rabbits are disposable objects.

She was asking YVR to collaborate with her in 2019. I don't know if you saw the DailyHive articles published about rescue of 27 puppies in need, and then on the page the killing of the domestic rabbits.

Obvious that no one at the airport has any concept of companionship of domestic pets.

Attachments

• KarlasFaceRS.jpg
    KarlasFaceRS.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
I would want documentation on the amount of pets the person killed, photos of the dead pets, did they suffer and bleed out, video of the killing that occurred by person pulling the trigger. Be sure to video tape the dead bodies of the domestic pets. Document all and release to the news media and groups that offered solutions to help.

Attachments

• ChristmasEveWKarlaInChair_122405RST.jpg
    ChristmasEveWKarlaInChair_122405RST.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1
@TreasuredFriend exactly the type of thinking that will prevent this from happening in the future.
We need now people standing up for rabbits and yes making it hard to actually have one.
I also believe folks should have a mini-course in what to know before getting one.

I didn't see the hive articles you speak of (thank God) when it ran, but I do follow a lot of different groups and pages of the well being, rescuing and education on rabbits because they are way misunderstood and over estimated in their smarts and abilities to be disposed of so nonchalantly.
The 3rd most popular house pet in the world, yet the most understood 🤷‍♀️

@Momma Luvbun - you and I are of the same caring background. Rabbitats, started by admin Sorelle, along with followers on Facebook groups are taking steps.

The contact links you posted are easily viewable now for bun parents who care.

- I would ask media to contact airport individuals who classified domestic rabbits who run up to you at the shake of a treat container as why they felt pets are wildlife objects to terminate vs. working with rescue groups. - Absurd. Disgusting. A cop-out, imo. Sorelle and Fur-Bearers were willing and able to help. Reality is that if kittens & cats and loose puppies in a certain location were observed, a rifler to exterminate would not have been hired. "Unimaginable loss" of two puppies killed by someone's dog, in the DailyHive articles.

You have excellent ideas on how to prevent people from abandoning pets going forward. Mini-course. Hubby said shoot the tires out of the "no-goods" who dump their unwanted pets on grassy areas because they lack responsibilty and a conscience to care. I won't type his other ideas. Tougher laws. Spay and Neuter, People.

Excellent ideas, and you have an excellent understanding of the 3td-most surrendered pet. Companions and emotional suppport pets to many of us.

All rescue people know abandoned rabbits are 99% not altered.

Thank you for following the pages of Sorelle, and other rescue-minded humans. The book Discarded Rabbits opens a person's eyes as to human disregard and maliciousness.

Hi everyone. When I started this post I was hoping for allies in people who love rabbits. I stopped reading responses when there were no expressions of shock, disgust, nor support.

I am happy to report that the cull has been halted. I know Rabbitats has offered to help and were denied but those of us who love buns will press on.

Btw these buns run toward you when approached, not away. They deserve to live.

@Toffee and Valentina -- In a conversation with Pipp of Rabbits Online. See Below. I would like to learn more about the sanctuary you mentioned for cats (when time allows).

Here's comments from Sorelle.
... we've been rescuing ferals -- probably over 2000 now -- for the past decade and the majority, even the ones out there for years, friendly right up with treats. And they still don't go off to live in the woods or fields, they're burrowing under buildings and living in the busiest areas of the parks. We took 400 rabbits out of a 40 acre auto mall property that was asphalt, small patches of grass, hedgerows and a big chunk of wild area. They lived under the steps of the dealerships, in the parking lots and in the hedgerows. Not in the brush, the back lots or the ditches.

This dittos the experience hubby had capturing offspring of a dumped Easter bunny, abandoned back in 2005/2006.

Rescues on both sides of the country will comment on actions taken.

Please let me know, Toffee and Valentina, if there's a way you can collaborate with Sorelle on this matter.
Hello and thank you for your support, Momma Luvbun and Treasured Friend. It's comforting to have two allies
One of my buns is from Rabbitats. I have not been in touch with them about this issue because I know they are aware but I will reach out to them see how I can help their efforts.

The cat sanctuary is sponsored by Raps. (who also adopt other animals) catsanctuary.ca

If people step up and help to find a solution they are more comfortable with - fine. Actually, great. Kind of.
I, personally, find nothing wrong with shooting invasive animals on your property if they cause problems. No matter how cute they are.

What I find pretty disgusting is the hatred towards people that are faced to deal with a problem that isn't their fault, and who decided to do it in a rather humane way, There are much easier ways, just get a dead rabbit from somewhere where Myxo or RHD runs rampant. Kill all domestic rabbits in a huge area, including loved pets, for years. No PR nightmare, impossible to prove where that outbreak came from, espacially at an airport, much more neat solution than hunting them down. I actually think airport authorities made a very responsible decision.
I bet none of you was ever in the position to have to euthanize most of his rabbits due to such a situation where the easy solution was taken.
I don't comment to the death wishes here to the persaon doing the job. What about rats? They are absolutly amazing animals too.

Fanatism is disgusting, that people feel so supirior because they judge about things that aren't their business. And whose imo screwed perception about what the symbiosis between humans and animals is about leads to more harm than good.

If someone is to blame it's the people who released the rabbits - which I'm pretty sure is outright illegal anyway already. Enforce existing laws before calling for new ones. Also, that culling would make clear that releasing invasive pet species has consequences. "Saving" them has exactly the opposite effect.

I live in an area where no wild rabbit population exists. If there would be rabbits set free and multiply, I would hunt them. I don't want all the the domestic rabbits be at risk of being killed by disease again. Rabbits got released here, but predators took care of that so far.

I better keep out of this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back