Rabbits being culled at Vancouver airport

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are feral rabbits. I recommend to look away if you can't watch it. Better to deal with it now than letting the problem get out of hand. Shooting them is very humane compared to what the Australians did, and keep trying, killing rabbits all over the world :(.
Or what, according to rumors, a local recreational center did, an employee told me that "something" had been done about the rabbits, many of them released pets, a few months later 14 of my 15 Rabbits were dead from Myxomatosis too, I've had seen a rabbit with symptoms there but didn't know what it was back then, a slow and horrible way to die. Pretty suspicious coincidence.

Catching them isn't an option, they grew up wild, captivity would be cruel.

Last edited:
Those are feral rabbits. I recommend to look away if you can't watch it. Better to deal with it now than letting the problem get out of hand. Shooting them is very humane compared to what the Australians did, and keep trying, killing rabbits all over the world :(.
Or what, according to rumors, a local recreational center did, an employee told me that "something" had been done about the rabbits, many of them released pets, a few months later 14 of my 15 Rabbits were dead from Myxomatosis too, I've had seen a rabbit with symptoms there but didn't know what it was back then, a slow and horrible way to die. Pretty suspicious coincidence.

Catching them isn't an option, they grew up wild, captivity would be cruel.

Yeah, the stupid New Zealand government also recently re-released calicivirus or RHVD in an area near to me.☹️ I love wild buns but they are a big problem here and if they have to die then it is best that they get shot quickly instead of a painful and slow death like what's happening here. I wish someone would go out and shoot them all so they can skip the sad death they would otherwise have.

Humans at the root cause of abandoned rabbits. How do we spay/neuter and educate uncaring humans wrt reproduction rates of the Top three pets surrendered to shelters?

In rescue networks I am constantly aware of how many Qs are rec'd wrt: can't keep, can you take my rabbit ?

We have a sanctuary here for feral cats. Why not for rabbits? Btw, most of the rabbits were dumped after Easter. They are domestic.

After one generation they are feral. Rabbits are barely domesticated to start with, a few hundred years compared to many thousands for cats or dogs, they go back to their wild ways immediatly.

Sure, if people opt to make it their problem - please go ahaed. But that's more wishful thinking than solving a problem. I just hope they don't let the meat go to waste, but I guess there's little market for that.

As I said, there are other ways, much worse ways to deal with a feral rabbit problem that will not outrage "sensitive, caring" people, because the rabbits would painfully suffocate silently underground, no one of the people whos business this is not noticing. Well, other than their pet suddenly dropping dead.

Last edited:
Pg. 175 - Chapter 9: The Reno Rabbit Rescue of 2006.

"We all have moments or events that spin our lives around, that mentally and physically turn what we thought we knew as reality upside down. Events that point our life in another direction or ignite a passion we had not known was within us." ... From the above book.

That book might be a nice read, but it doesn't solve the problem at hand.

If anyone is to blame it's those who released the rabbits in the first place, they doomed them, making them other peoples problem.

As I said, if anyone has a practical solution, step forward and do it. Otherwise, I think shooting them is the most humane way to deal with it, considering the readily available options. I appreciate that they hire a professional to do the job. If there were a similiar problem here, and other options considered, I would pump up my PCP air rifle and join the hunt. That's human negligance at work, not nature.

Rescue org inboxes are filled with "can you take my rabbit" after novelty (and commitment to lifelong care) wears off. I remember the bin of cutesy dutches at the cash register prior to Easter holiday when hub and I entered to look at toy selections for our 1st adopted.

The woman who mentioned the buns in a bin at Tractor Supply Co. prior to Easter, and the one not sold with injured leg would be put into the trash, said the man at the store.

Education provided by Sorelle/Pipp are humans that make a difference. - Happy to see the website Janet has created to further educate.

Might be, but totally off topic. This thread is about feral rabbits that obviously cause enough problems to take measures, not about pet rabbits. Unless yozu target the now untraceable source of the problem.

Loose and abandoned lagomorphs, and solutions are discussed in the book. Has anyone reached out to BestFriends in Kanab, Utah or Debby Widolf? Sorelle in the link above? Conferring with humans who care is beneficial.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm pretty sure in that case it's beyond the point.
Something written in a book is nice, but you need people to do stuff. This are not pet rabbits. What are you suggesting to do with them? And Why?

A contact person was instrumental in the follow-up of 118 rabbits kept in a hoarding situation. Much different than abandoned rabbits who are unsp/eutered and living on airport grounds. The hoarding individual had them in wire cages. OTOH, humans who wanted to make a difference in their life collaborated. All got spayed and neutered at the shelter prior to adoption and screening for forever-loving homes.

@Toffee and Valentina I applaud you for inquiring if efforts can help these rabbits, versus "let's simply ignore (i.e. intercedence) and kill all you can."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back