Rabbits are NOT rodents!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaiya

Allison
Reaction score
I keep hearing and reading people say that rabbits are rodents like rats, mice, hamsters, etc. :nonono: Many people think that rabbits are just large rodents. NOT TRUE! I want to help people realize what exactly rabbits are! So I compiled all of the information from a couple of my rabbit and hamster books, and this is what a rabbit really is...

First of all, to to those that don't know much about taxonomy, this is how everything works together. Taxonomy is scientists' method of ordering all living things. The taxonomic groups go in this order: kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species name.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Lagomorpha
Family: Leporidae
Genus: Oryctolagus
Species: Cuniculus (domestic rabbit)

Rabbits belong to the order Lagomorpha, and rodents belong to the order Rodentia. The name Lagomorpha comes from the Latin word lagos meaning "hare", and morphe meaning "form". The order has only two families: Leporidae (rabbits and hares), and Ochotonidae (pikas).

So that's today's lesson why rabbits are NOT rodents! :bunnybutt: Hope you enjoyed it!

Loved it! Very informational! I know many people are surprised when I tell them they aren't rodents lol. :)

Just to be super picky because it's something I've studied and had absolutely drilled into me. The Genus and Species name should be in italics and the species name should not be capitalised!

I'm glad to know though that someone else gets as bothered by calling rabbits rodents as I do :p I suppose it would be the same to an entomologist whenever somebody called a spider or cockroach etc a bug. Another fun fact, Watership Down since it is set in england was based on European Rabbits, which are the same as our lovely pets :)

Just as another interesting point, some researchers looked at the DNA of rabbits a few years ago, and found that their closest relatives are not rodents but primates. In other words, your bunny is more closely related to you than to a mouse or rat.

Wow... I didn't know that! That's cool! I would add that to the original post, but since I can't, I guess people can just look in the comments. XD

*gasp* the edit button is back! Yay!

Thanks!

I get frustrated when people get wrong information but not know that it's wrong, so I explain it to them, and they usually end up with a thoroughly confused look on their face! XD

Such is the life of a 4-H'er - knowing tons of stuff that other people care or know nothing about!

I was told when I first got rabbits that they are similar to horses.
I'm a 4-H'er too and every year we put up two banners, one said rabbits and the other one had fun facts. One of the facts said "Rabbits aren't rodents"

my dad calls them giant rats!!! I think he likes to get a rise out of me!!! he also says he wants to microwave them too. hahhahahha!! not so funny!!!! we call our Chihuahua, our ugly Mexican rat. she's more like a rodent because she tunnels under the blankies!! hahahaha!!!

I was told when I first got rabbits that they are similar to horses.
I'm a 4-H'er too and every year we put up two banners, one said rabbits and the other one had fun facts. One of the facts said "Rabbits aren't rodents"

I have some vague memory about it being elephants, lol. Whatever the case may be, at least we all agree they're not rodents! :p

I think it's because hyraxes look sort of like rabbits or guinea pigs, and they're most closely related to elephants.

Latest posts

Back