Rabbits and Rabies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pamnock wrote:
Laura wrote:
I don't believe pasturella can be passed to a different species. I think it only affectslagomorphs.

It is most commonly passed on to humans through bite wounds. The strain Pasteurella multocida, that is most commonly cultured in rabbits, isalso found in the saliva of other species of animals including dogs and cats.

[font="Arial, Verdana, sans-serif"]"Rabbit
Diseases of major public health importance in domestic rabbits are rarely encountered. Biting is uncommon but rabbits can inflict painful scratches with their rear limbs if improperly restrained.[3] Among the infectious diseases Pasteurella multocida may cause cutaneous infection in humans.[4] Other diseases to which rabbits are susceptible, e.g. salmonellosis, yersiniosis, tularemia, are extremely rare and are more commonly transmitted to humans by wild animals. Direct zoonotic transmission of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis from domestic rabbits has been documented.[5] More commonly some external parasites of the rabbit including fur mite acariasis (Cheyletiella) and dermatophytosis (Trichophyton) may be transmitted to humans."
[/font]

Source: http://anapsid.org/chomel.html
:shock: oh my god, he has bitten me and scratched mea TON of times!! Should I go to the doctor?

WHY DID YOU CHOKE HIM.......:shock:

YOU COULD OF KILLED HIM......:X

*rants on and on* (sorry but you could of killed him!):X

Is the poor creature ok?:(

rabbit_whisperer wrote:

I'm sorry but if an animal were to attack me viciously, I would do WHATEVER it took to protect myself.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
:shock: oh my god, he has bitten me and scratched mea TON of times!! Should I go to the doctor?

I don't believe it isnecessary to go to the doctor unless you see signs of infection. Did you cleanse the wounds well?

Here is more info on signs to watch for:

Pathophysiology:
  • Local: P multocida infection most commonly presents as an infection complicating an animal bite or injury. Complications include rapidly progressive cellulitis, abscesses, tenosynovitis, osteomyelitis, and septic arthritis. The latter two are particularly likely in cat bites because of the small, sharp, penetrative characteristics of feline teeth.

Source: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1764.htm

rabbit_whisperer wrote:

Uh, excuse me but the the S-O-B almost tore my freaking nipple off and I couldn't get him off of me. What am i supposed to, coo him and coax him nicely with my nipplebleeding and pulsating in pain? This was a hard bite and my entire breast is swollen and black because of this.Go have a rabbit tear into yourboob, tell me you were able to gently and calmly remove him while bleeding all over the placeand then I wont think that your above post is utterly ridiculous anymore....

Edit - Oh and yes, the rabbit is fine. Did you not read the part where he charged at me again right after? I, however, am in extreme pain today...

pamnock wrote:
ilovetegocalderon wrote:

I don't believe it isnecessary to go to the doctor unless you see signs of infection. Did you cleanse the wounds well?

Here is more info on signs to watch for:

Pathophysiology:
  • Local: P multocida infection most commonly presents as an infection complicating an animal bite or injury. Complications include rapidly progressive cellulitis, abscesses, tenosynovitis, osteomyelitis, and septic arthritis. The latter two are particularly likely in cat bites because of the small, sharp, penetrative characteristics of feline teeth.

Source: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1764.htm
Thanks for the info Pam. I cleansed the wound with hydrogen peroxide.

I just now saw this post, and oh my goodness! What a mean little fella! I'm so sorry calderon, I hope he chills out and calms down soon! Harper lunges at me when I stick my hands in his cage sometimes, however he only lightly nips when he catches my hand. He has never bitten hard or refused to let go. Yikes, that has to be scary!! :shock:

MyBoyHarper wrote:
I just now saw this post, and oh my goodness! What a mean little fella! I'm so sorry calderon, I hope he chills out and calms down soon! Harper lunges at me when I stick my hands in his cage sometimes, however he only lightly nips when he catches my hand. He has never bitten hard or refused to let go. Yikes, that has to be scary!! :shock:
It is scary! Especially because Rice and Beans NEVER EVER show any signs of aggression to me EVER!! Marshy only has once, when she first came home. She grunted and bit me and has never done it since. All my bunnies are the absolute sweetest and show me nothing but love so its terrifying to Tank around. Especially when he bit me in a sensitive area and then wouldn't let go! I was mortified. Hopefully the answer to his aggression is he's grumpy because he's sick and he's frustrated due to raging hormones. In this case, it can be fixed with a neuter and some treatment for his sickness. But something tells me he is just an evil little possessed pyscho bunny who can't be helped. I'm telling you, I would never have believed a bunny could act like this until I saw it with my own eyes. And he's not little either. He's a pretty big boy so it just makes it all the more petrifying. But even though he's a monster, I feel compelled to let him out of the cage each day to run around the house even though I'm scared to make any movements.:?

Given that he was nearly snake food, then thrown into a cage with no interaction or room to run around, then yet again transferred to a new home, where he smells other bunnies, and then he's un-neutered and going through a hormonal rage, all add up to make him one unhappy bunny.

He sounds terrifying from the sounds of it, however, I would give him time and lots of love and attention (well, as much as you can without getting your fingers or a booby bitten off!), and plus get him neutered to help with the hormones. Within a few months, I would HOPE he would be improving greatly. However, if he isn't improved after all of that within a few months, he may have mental issues or something, and I would consider maybe getting rid of him. You don't want him to be a hazard to your bunnies, or to you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

rabbit_whisperer wrote:

If you were in the sevre pain ilovetegocalderon was in, I promise you,you would have done the same thing. If somethingbit me and wouldn't elt go, I would do the quickest thing toget it off.When you get a shock of pain, you have one thought, to stop it. It was a reflex reaction to do what she did.

You could try wearing lots of layers if possible. I'm pretty sure that if he gets neutered, he might calm down, atleast to a manageable state. I'm also wondering if he might have been interbred? I know some interbred dogs can be very vicious.. I'm not sure.

Thank you Spring and Lissa for understanding. It's not like I go around choking rabbits for pleasure. But I was screaming and in shock. My boob is still throbbing!!:cry1

Edit - You want to know something crazy though, what was even more scary than the actual bite, was that possessed look he gave me right before he did it. I've never seen a rabbit actually make a face, literally! like how a human makes a face. he has this devilish look in his eye and it was just VERY scary to see. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

I'm also wondering if he has a magor domineering problem. I know Pebbles has a bit of one (she was the top dog.. err rabbit and the largest out of her litter), so I really have to show her who's boss (and of course, that's your truly ;)).

If this is the case, then you have to put on a brave face (I know it's probably hard if you'redealing with a vicious rabbit like this). If he's being good, maybe give him a treat or two. If he tried to lunge and bite, put a firm but not too much pressure on his shoulders (I read that in the other thread with Benji, and I've done the same when Pebbles gets a bit toofiesty). Always talk calm to him if possible.

I'm just wondering, does he have as much aggression in his cage as out? We'll have to see how the vet goes, and see after his neuter. I'm pretty confident the problem will shrink once he gets neutered.

Best of luck to your 'problem child' :).

*With the edit to your last post, I thinkI've seen this with Pebbles when she lunges. Her eyes go all large and sometimes I see the whites of them. When I see this face, I move my hand away from where she can lunge or box at it, and I put it near the back of her neck and rub gently. This usually calms her down. Sometimes she even melts to the floor to be massaged more. Although Pebbles is far less agreesive, it's worth a try.

I'm so curious to see a picture of him calderon! :shock:

P.S., I don't blame you for choking him to get him off. I would've done the same thing if I had a rabbit litterally attacking me.

MyBoyHarper wrote:

P.S., I don't blame you for choking him to get him off. I would've done the same thing if I had a rabbit litterally attacking me.
Well I'd have to catch him when he puts on that face. Usually, he just looks like a cute normal black lop bunny. That's why I totally freaked out when i looked and saw him glaring at me with those possessed eyes. It was totally bizarre. I think I'd have to take a picture for anyone to really understand how scary he looked. .....running off to go buy a camera now!! (to be honest though, i don't ever wanna see that face again, but if and when he does, i will try to snap a photo.)

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
Thank you Spring and Lissa for understanding. It's not like I go around choking rabbits for pleasure. But I was screaming and in shock. My boob is still throbbing!!:cry1
Iszy bit me in the nipple a couple years ago. Although it was only a "friendly nip," she bit down hard enough for me to scream. lol :foreheadsmack:

I call them "psychopaths". They are especially dangerous and frightening because they will often attack without warning or provocation and the attacks can be very vicious. In some cases a smell or movement may set them off. It's a behavior I rarely see in bucks (only a couple times over the past 15 years).

The behavior is not necessarily the result of neglect or cruelty, but can also occur in rabbits that have been well socialized with humans, indicating that genetic factors are involved.

Pam

Sorry for my reaction but I love rabbits and hate when something bad happens to one or one is upset.(I hope you get better though if it helps at all.)

MyBoyHarper wrote:

They are capable of clamping down with the apparent force of a pitbull (or at least it seems that way to the one getting bit).

I have seen a few cases where the person under attack could not pry the jaws of the rabbit apart and had to have assistance in order to remove the rabbit.

On occasion, a rabbit may bite so hard that a trip to the hospital for stiches is required. I've heard of it happening to a number of rabbit judges (and judges have extensive handling experience).

A rabbit caught me by surprise this spring when it latched on to the meat of my palm. It was a nasty bite, but someone had some "new skin", so I was able to glue my hand back together and continue judging.

Pam

Latest posts

Back