Rabbits and "hunting breed" puppy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Its been a really long time since I’ve posted, so I don’t think most of you will remember me. I’ve had two rabbits for years. Lulu and Zeppelin are doing great, for those that do remember us. I’m in the process of moving in with my boyfriend, and hit a small snag. It has been his dream (literally, he wants to so badly) since he was a kid, to have a beagle.

He specifically wants a beagle, and I realize that this is a rabbit owners NIGHTMARE. So, please don’t flame me, because I’d never do anything to put my rabbits in danger, but I wanted to talk about this. Obviously they would NEVER be alone together. I just would want to get to the point where I’m not constant terrified of the dog bolting into the room and killing my precious rabbits.

We would get a puppy (very young puppy) and train it from an early age. I still have NO idea if this would be successful. I’ve heard of examples on the internet, but I have no idea if those are “freak accident” beagles. So basically, the question is, can hunting dogs be trained from a young age to leave rabbits alone, or is the prey drive just too strong. I know it can be done with other breeds.

I would never 100% trust a hunting breed around rabbits or other small animals. Some might be able to be trained to leave the rabbits alone, but instinct can still take over.
Some breeding lines are not used for hunting of any sort, so the drive is not as honed as with dogs that are bred to go out (even in a mock hunt). These tend to be breeders who breed for show. This does not mean that there is no hunting instinct, just possibably less.
It really can come down to the individual dog. Some dogs are calmer than others. You would need to be firm from the very start with the dog so it never gets to the point where it goes after the rabbits. Lots of training in other areas is a must as well.

Hounds really are not the sort of breed you would want with rabbits. You might be able to make it work. Make sure you do lots of research on the breed to make sure you can handle them and the training, they do tend to be stubborn.

I would never trust any dog around rabbits. Even if they aren't bred to hunt/kill prey they could easily terrorize the rabbits by "playing" with them. One of our rabbits got out and was the victim of our son's Lab wanting to play with her. He didn't kill her, or hurt her, but she was wet with the dog's slobber and scared to death when we found her. Maybe your bf would consider getting a Beagle mix to dilute the hunting drive in the dog?

Agree that getting one that hasn't been bred for hunting and raising it around the rabbits will help, and closely supervised together time as the puppy grows up would also help. The rabbits also need to get used to the dog, and ours weren't, which is why our rabbit was so petrified when we found her. It's just something you're going to have to be careful about as long as both are in the same house.

my friend has beagles and they are super gentle with the bunnies!!! my Chihuahua has a strong prey drive and is afraid of the boys and leaves them alone!! you'll just have to see how the puppy is? best wishes!!!

Dogs have a strong sense of family. If you do what the others have said, get a beagle mix or a show beagle, and bring it up with a lot of supervised time around the bunnies (you and boyfriend have to constantly handle and pet the bunnies in front of your pup to show that they're part of the family too), I think you'll have a high chance of a happy coexistence. I still wouldn't leave it alone and unsupervised with the buns, but you'll be able to relax about having them in the same room!

Dogs will only do what you let them get away with, so it would also help to keep it extremely well-trained and obedient to its dominant/alpha (I assume this would be your boyfriend). That's so a sharp word from boyfriend would stop it right in its tracks, in the unfortunate event that its hunting instincts towards your buns take over unexpectedly.

Dont think you'll have any problems as long as your smart about it. My husky/lab was very excitable around shya when we first brought her home. I had never seen a prey drive in him and was really shocked. It took maybe two weeks and a lot of work but now he's like eh whatever. He pretty much ignores the rabbits except for Shya. That's his rabbit and he's very protective of her.

Because you're getting a puppy, it should be easy to train the dog to know that the bunnies are not for eating/chasing etc, just have to be persistent with it. So at least they can get along, to what extent is impossible to tell. If you are really serious about it, I would speak to breeders and ask them if it's possible for you to somehow have a puppy or two meet one or both of your rabbits (perhaps on bunny turf so they're not so scared) so that you can try to better judge which puppy has less of a prey drive or may be more easily trained. Ask the breeder's opinion on their puppies too, they are the ones that are bound to know their puppies best.

Just remember that any dog can still have that prey tendencies! Even when trained out of them. A dog is still a dog, and can still get into prey drive pretty quickly! My sisters Eskimo Dog, has 0 prey drive and has been around our rabbits since day 1. Occasionally, out of the blue, she will chase one of them. No harm is done, but she is a dog with 0 prey drive normally.

Your best bet is supervised interactions with puppies leash on. That way you can correct or at least grab him if things don't go according to plan! This way everyone stays safe ;)

My Beagle mix was socialized with our rabbits since day 1, but she cannot be around them at all. She shakes violently if we make her leave them be, and if we don't tell her to leave them she tries to catch them. Just remember each dog is different! :eek:hwell:

I've done it both ways -- I had an existing dog and then introduced rabbits, and I've had existing rabbits and then introduced an older dog, and, on a different scenario, introduced a puppy.

In my experience, the puppy was the most difficult. He was ok, initially, but when he was teething, things were very difficult. The pup and the rabbits HAD to be kept completely separate because puppy needed/wanted to chew and also wanted to play with the rabbits. (To him, they were his puppy mates). Just one playful nip with those pin-sharp teeth would have punctured delicate bunny skin. So bear that in mind that separation time will come.

Later as the dog grew, we got new rabbits and he accepts them as part of the family 'pack.'

I agree it's up to the individual dog. I don't believe a leash is a good option because a tight leash encourages the prey drive. That is the method used to encourage the chase mentality.

Initial introductions need to be made through a closed cage. The dog needs to be trained to be calm, not barking at this stage. When bunnies' cage is opened, I suggest (this is how I've done it) that the dog is made to lie down on his side with his head also down on its side. This is a submissive position. I made my dog stay in that position while buns come out and explore and approach the dog. This teaches the dog his expected place in this family. I praise him and as he does well, he's then allowed to raise his head only. Over the next days we gradually allow him to be in a "down" position (head up, but legs beneath him, not sideways). Then to a sitting position. Lastly a standing position. At no time is he permitted to chase the rabbits.

This is my labradoodle (half lab so has some hunting instinct). Outside, he'll chase the jackrabbits in a heartbeat. But inside, he never chases our buns. Here you can see the rabbits being active and he's staying down.

100_7517.jpg

I absolutely believe it can be done. It just takes persistence and hard work. For three months after I got my rabbits I penned off the room so my dog couldn't go in there and (sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't) after I took it down he still knew that the room was sort of off limits for him unless I specifically asked him to follow me into the room. He would wait at the doorway if I was in there with the rabbits. And I had a strong talking to with him as well and told him if he EVER hurts one of the rabbits I would strangle him. I told him it would be like the part on I Am Legend and I think that got through to him as well lmao! Of course I couldn't strangle him but he doesn't know that! haha!

Personally, I'd look for an adult dog who has grown up with other pets and has been trained. It will be difficult until the puppy grows up. They are like kids, they have to be told over and over and over to listen and it takes time for them to "get it". Even when well-trained, a dog may still just go 'not today' and choose to do whatever gets into his head at the time. My cousin had a beagle "partner" at work (quarantine dog) and even with all of his training he urinated on a passenger's bag once.

From the beagles I've known, I wouldn't try it with a beagle unless it was an adult and I could judge its personality. All dogs are lovable, maybe your boyfriend could look at orphan dogs and fall in love with one who is a bit beagle and a bit just totally gorgeous.

Has your boyfriend had dogs before? Training a dog isn't so much about the dog, it's about the people and what they understand about the dog. You can train the dog, but you need to know how first, and that's a learning process. If you don't already know it and get a dog that needs a lot of guidance, there will be issues. A friend got a beagle and came home one day to find that he'd dug up the ENTIRE reticulation system in their backyard. Dealing with things can be a challenge. Of course, the chance of having your stuff wrecked you can take, the chance that another pet will be injured is a risk you have to completely guard against, all the time. Takes effort.

I have some experience with beagles- pups and adults. I have found them very challenging when it comes to training. The reason being is that nose and hunting instinct can get in the way and take over, they can also be a bit stubborn. I had an easier time leash training my wild cats than I had the beagle. Others have already said it takes persistance and strong leadership to train them and I agree, it certainly can be done.

I understand what you are going through we are in the process of deciding if we want to get a dog or a puppy. My husband is so afraid of a dog hurting our giant rabbit. He wants a pup, I want an older dog.

Latest posts

Back