Rabbits and fireworks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelawareRunner

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been commenting on here for awhile, but this is the first time I've posted to ask for advice--or maybe just to vent. I know this is a pleasant group of people who love their bunnies so I feel safe posting this. I live in Delaware, where any fireworks that explode or leave the ground have always been highly illegal--such as the big ones that make lots of noise and catch things on fire. The ground based ones recently became legal only two holidays a year, but they really don't concern me as they won't land in my yard or make enough noise to upset my bunny. I live in a very congested resort area with houses on top on houses and lots less than a quarter acre. Many homes (such as mine) have beach grass and mulch, both of which are highly flammable.

My new neighbors next door seemed great up until recently--both older than me (late 50's). They informed my husband that their brother in law would be visiting over July Fourth and that he "loves big scale fireworks and would be setting them off". My husband was really taken aback, and he informed them that those fireworks were illegal and that we have a rabbit in the house that could be startled to death or otherwise harmed by these fireworks, not to mention the fire risk of burning our house down and killing us all. They acted like they didn't even care about my bunny or us, and they said they "would consult their lawyer friend" about the brother in law setting them off. Oh, I was HOT after hearing this!!! How rude and inconsiderate, not to mention illegal. My husband told them we would be contacting the police if they set them off and that was their warning.

Has anyone else dealt with people like this? I feel my only option is to call the police; my home is small and I cannot move her to a quieter area. We don't have a basement. I may be able to take her to my pet sitter's house, but who knows how many days they may try to set them off or if my pet sitter will still want to take my bunny given the coronavirus situation. I just cannot believe somebody that age is still into such juvenile behaviors (illegal at that) and not a care in the world for the law, my rabbit, my life, or my property. I am beyond disgusted. I would do anything to protect my sweet baby.

Just saying, my rabbits ignore fireworks completly. They are not like dogs or cats, rabbits are pretty smart to judge what noise is danger and what not. Their reaction on New Years Eve is just "Great, someone is up at midnight to feed us!"
Well, when working with the chainsaw I have to watch out for bunnies between my feet, so much for judging danger.

If you act nervous, relocate them, fuss over them, I actually think you make things worse. They pick up stress in other animals like us very well (they listen to the birds very well). I would just give them treats when the noise starts.

If your rabbit is housed outdoors, yeah, I may be concerned. If your rabbit is indoors, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the noise. Fireworks shouldn't cause any more noise than a severe thunderstorm. Might it stress your rabbit? Yes. But so would loud thunderclaps and I'd imagine you've already had to deal with that.

As for whether to call the police on your neighbor, that's certainly your call. You'll both still be neighbors (living side by side) so you'll want to think about the best course of action. Hopefully something can be worked out amicably. Hopefully neither of you want to make an enemy. One never knows when something sets someone off and they respond crazily. So I'd just suggest you consider carefully.

We've been away for the entire week surrounding July Fourth every year because it's a total zoo here. This is the first time we'll be home (sadly) due our vacation being cancelled due to the virus. My bunny did hear a couple loud (illegal) fireworks before, but they were in a neighboring development and not on my street. Nobody sets them off in here given it's mostly retirees. She perked up, stared at me, and I just talked to her and acted like it was normal because that worked when a neighbor was using a very loud saw one day. I also turned on the tv.

During times such as New Year and other celebrations here, I generally close up my windows and the curtains (this helps with the sudden light variations) and put on calming music on Youtube. There are several channels with hours of soft music for your bunnies. You might want to stay up with them, talk to them, and play with them as well. This way they will be distracted by your presence, and having you around will ensure they know they are safe. Keep some lavender in the room as well, it has a calming scent.

Latest posts

Back