Rabbits and college? Sneaking a rabbit in?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, I have mine in my dorm. My RA literal doesn't care.. he knows my rabbit is in here hahaha. But dorm rooms are A LOT smaller than you think... make sure you take measurements first and have a place to hide the cage. I disguised mine as a table,but now i lofted my bed so he chills under there when i go class. then he gets to free roam for about 4 hours a day :) its essential that the maintenance people don't see it- they will report it and they can come in whenever without you even being there. also, i advise you keep your printer box.. it comes in handy when sneaking it in and out of your dorm. keep your transport cage in your car and walk him out in the printer box.. works every time (; lol. but seriously, i would make sure you know your RA first before bringing him, some RAs just want to get people in trouble, others really don't care.

I had no idea that colleges require students to live in the dorms nowadays. What if someone has other options? Seems a little ridiculous to me.
Anyway, as the others have said, sneaking in 2 rabbits is a bit of an impossibility. You could try looking for a college that does not require you to stay in the dorms for a year (those still exist, right?).

let me add something. DO NOT just live off campus for your rabbits. If you live off campus it is MUCH harder to get involved and make friends. plus its cheaper to live on campus, at least at my university

let me add something. DO NOT just live off campus for your rabbits. If you live off campus it is MUCH harder to get involved and make friends. plus its cheaper to live on campus, at least at my university

I suppose that depends on your priorities now, doesn't it?

you go to college once in your life, for four to eight years. don't miss out on anything because of your rabbits. you can have them your sophomore year and for the rest of your life. i think its important for people to become involved on campus through clubs or whatever really.(Looks good to be well-rounded in addition to having good grades, for graduate school or a job.) And it is also important to make friends, which is easier if you are on campus. College is a very stressful time for most students, its good to be able to vent, study, have fun, and relax with others. Thats all I'm saying :)

I had no idea that colleges require students to live in the dorms nowadays. What if someone has other options? Seems a little ridiculous to me.
Anyway, as the others have said, sneaking in 2 rabbits is a bit of an impossibility. You could try looking for a college that does not require you to stay in the dorms for a year (those still exist, right?).

why would you chose your college based on your rabbits? rabbits aren't going to get you a good job, home, food, or clothing. you should pick a college that is going to give you the best opportunities... not one that lets you live off campus freshman year.

At the college where my daughter goes (and where I went) you are required to live in a dorm your freshman year and about the only exception is if you live in that town and will live with family. Aaustin makes good points.

Thanks for the tips! Yes some colleges like community colleges - which really isn't an option and other colleges allow you to live off campus. I want to live on campus because I have a somewhat hard time making friends and I would like to be involved and such and make lots of friends and actually have a social life, but I don't really like the idea of living with someone else in the same room. I will not let my rabbits decide what college I go to; you are very right on that.

BUT, another reason I don't want to live in a dorm with another room mate is because, I like to have my own time. I would love to have a single if I must live on campus. Plus, I am not a fan of the cafeteria food most colleges have. I am sort of a health freak, and I don't know if the college I go to will have a kitchen? And just so many things. However, a single would be great - if I can get one.

why would you chose your college based on your rabbits? rabbits aren't going to get you a good job, home, food, or clothing. you should pick a college that is going to give you the best opportunities... not one that lets you live off campus freshman year.

Because once you have "pets" or animal companions in your life, your life choices should revolve around them. To me it's really no different to having kids. Why should you NOT base your choices around your rabbits (cats, dogs, hamsters, or any other animals for that matter)?
And you don't have to live on campus to make friends or get engaged in clubs. I never did.
Of course, in the end it's the OP's choice. If she gets someone to look after her rabbits and is fine with being separated from them for a while, then it's really up to the her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! Yes some colleges like community colleges - which really isn't an option and other colleges allow you to live off campus. I want to live on campus because I have a somewhat hard time making friends and I would like to be involved and such and make lots of friends and actually have a social life, but I don't really like the idea of living with someone else in the same room. I will not let my rabbits decide what college I go to; you are very right on that.

BUT, another reason I don't want to live in a dorm with another room mate is because, I like to have my own time. I would love to have a single if I must live on campus. Plus, I am not a fan of the cafeteria food most colleges have. I am sort of a health freak, and I don't know if the college I go to will have a kitchen? And just so many things. However, a single would be great - if I can get one.

Yeah, it's definitely an adjustment trying to live with someone else. a single room would be nice. and all the colleges that my friends go to and mine have kitchens... i think its pretty standard? (can't be certain, we might have all just been lucky haha). dining hall food is pretty gross, but sometimes you don't have to buy meal plans, or if you do just buy the cheapest one and then go get most of your food from the grocery store. dorms do have fridges and microwaves always i think. if you ever have any other college questions i can help you out since i just went through the application process last year and am about to finish up my freshman year :)

My boyfriend lived on campus during the summer and we snuck a rabbit in to his place. We didn't get caught. I think it's okay on certain conditions:

1) You don't have roommates. If you do, ALL of them need to be okay with the rabbit (talk about in advance) and they need to be able to keep a secret.

2) You keep the rabbit cages very clean and your room clean as well. I cleaned the cage every day to prevent it from smelling at all.

3) Don't ever file work orders and be abreast of any news about maintenance or RAs coming into rooms. They don't usually without notice.

4) Work out an alternative situation in case you have to move out the rabbit temporarily or if it's not okay with your roommate(s).

I think sneaking them would be an extremely bad choice. When I went to college, if someone was caught with an animal that wasnt a fish or a small reptile, the animal was confiscated and taken to an animal shelter. If you picked the animal up and got caught a second time, you were kicked out of the dorms. You could really put your buns under some severe stress. Is that worth spending time with them everyday? Perhaps keep them at home for the time being and make some friends who live off campus. Move them when you can find somewhere to keep them. I honestly dont think it is worth the stress on your rabbits. Especially since shelters more than likely are not suited to take care of anything besides cats and dogs.

Dorms are very expensive. You could easily pay rent with the money you would spend on dorm fees. I'd look for an off campus apartment. You might even consider finding someone to room with & splitting the rent to keep costs even lower.

Thank you for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it! I completely just never thought of these important factors, but I am now aware of everything I need to take into account. Also, I agree dorms are expensive - nearly everything in the world is so expensive how depressing! But some colleges require you to stay in a dorm, so I have no choice. Thank you for all the help!

Do it :)!! its the best year i had in college sharing it with my BIG flemish giant bunny. and I set up a large dog crate in my room haha but i also had a bit bigger room and we had suites, so i had my own room and me and a roomate just shared a kitchen. it would be a bit harder if you were to share a bedroom like some universities are.
I am in school for veterinary technician and SO many people have cats, bunnies,snakes, rodents ect..lol i had a hamster too!

TIPS:
-My crate was fold up so i folded it up and wrapped it in a blanket...no one asked what it was
-my friend had a small rabbit cage and she just wrapped it in garbage bags
-bedding and food and such just got transported in tubs.
-keep the cage out of sight from the front door.
-bring a baby gate...also hide that in a blanket
-move in when everyone is moving in, they will pay less attention to you
-clean clean clean!!!
-bring a fan! and also crack your window, keeps the smell down and air moving

FIRE drills were a bit of a hassle...If i knew it was a drill, i covered her cage the best i could with blankets and through clothes on top to hide her

room inspections...we never reall had one...but burry the cage under stuff, under desk ect..good thing is that dont make alot of noise!

NOW to sneak the bunny in!!
if your rabbit is big...
have a cat carrier and a hockey bag!!
put your bun in carrier and zip it up in the hockey bag! bam!
...everyone thinks i play hockey lol:roflmao:

if its a small bun
..any duffle bag or tupperware tub that is big enough would work....:)my friend sneaks her dwarf inside in a lulu lemon duffle bag

Best of luck! and make sure you have a vaccuum!! haha :happybunny:
and try to not tell everyone you have a pet, only close friends bec the word spreads quick!..and dont let drunk ppl in your room lol

bunny proofing was also tricky...well now that she can jump on my desk lol
she is free range when im watching her but she ripped my wall paper...ate all the buttons of my tv remove and i had to take my bed off the bed frame bec she was chewing my box spring hahah
but if you own a bun...you are probably already prepared for all this haha

Latest posts

Back