Rabbitry updated...new cages and all. :-)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
It has been a busy few months, to say the least! I got a really good deal on hanging cages. They're 30"x42"x18.5". The Flops love them! And I'm so glad that dumping trays is pretty much a thing of the past! I just use a push broom to gather the poop, then hose everything down. I have 100 cages stored in the barn, for future additions.

All of my Frenchies are in the little barn up by the hay mows and my daughter's will be housed down in the main barn (mostly stacking, with some hanging). The upper barn is all cement, which makes it ideal for hanging cages. It's open on 2 sides, though, so we'll have to fix it up before winter hits. There's always a breeze blowing, so everyone stays cool and comfie.

Here are some pictures of them. Note: Not all of them had their resting mats back in when I was doing pictures (had been disinfecting everything prior). There are currently 26 up there, and I'm hanging another 10 tomorrow. You have no idea how nice it is to NEVER have to worry about cage space, ever again. The feed bill...well, that's a different story. haha

1.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

Man those are some HUGE cages!!! It looks really good!! I wish we didn't have to worry about space :/ those bunny poses are so cute!!

Eventually I'm sure I'll run out of space. But I've found that 30 Frenchies is my limit! Any more than that and I can't get them out and mess with them much. They are all so lazy...all they do is lay around. lol Every time I go to the barn they're all stretched out. They'll get up to come see me, then go and flop again. There are 2 Roo babies that have me going, "ohhhhhhh!". Can't wait to see what Boo, Nora, and Frostie throw. I bred Frostie (frosted pearl-chocolate) to my smoke pearl chin buck. Lots of neat color possibilities there!

I would be so paranoid about the hanging cages somehow falling off their attachments! I don't think I could do it, lol. Then again, I can't imagine dumping trays for 30+ rabbits on a daily basis. Sweeping the floor would be much easier. :) Glad you got a good deal, they are a good sized cage.

OMG! When I first hung them, I used small fence staples. I pounded them mostly in, but left enough out to slip the heavy wire through. Unfortunately, after a few hours of hanging with a LOT of weight in them, they started falling. Poor bunnies! :( Now they're attached to horse round pen panels, and they aren't budging. That's a temporary fix, until I figure out which way to run the cages (for whatever the reason, the building isn't square...it gets wider on the far end).

We have a friend who has all hanging cages in several different small barns. She has them hanging from the wooden rafters using chains.

The problem with hanging just from the rafters is that they swing. I have cement floors, so I can't even just pound some t-posts in. We aren't in any hurry to put the round pen back up (no young/green horses at the moment). They will probably stay attached to those until I get the actual barn re-done. Money for that has to come slowly, as I sell rabbits. Hubby was going to rip the building down, until I put the keebosh to that. lol

Latest posts

Back