Rabbitry help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
countrybuns wrote:
you could just call them Amanda's -breed of rabbit - Rabbitry if you don't want people calling you by your rabbitry name. I named mine Thomas Trio Rabbitry because my last name is Thomas and I have three sons that my hubby calls the Thomas Trio.
Yeah, I have Flemish Giants, Velveteen Lops and I want to work with Dutches.

I don't need my name in the title, but a name that people use for first names and such I feel confuses people. so I was thinking more like staying away from names in the name.

I live in the middle of the desert where it reaches 130 degrees Fahrenheit (no joking!) So I was thinking a desert Themed name. or something that you see or find in the desert.

Your Other Questions!!!

With your breedings do you leave them together or do you do the standard, wait til they breed, then try again a few hours later thing? I keep them together all day and night!

Do your rabbits get run time?
I have built an run but I havent used it yet!

What's with this show supplement that I keep seeing ya'll are talking about?

I dont know.. I am the one that had the sho supplement stuff that I have, I had a question about it because one of my Rex's that got shown last week. On the remark card it says that she haves an open coat. And I was trying to get answers.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=57731&forum_id=8

Do you have a website?
Yes I do!
http://eviestulipsrabbitry.webs.com/

How do YOU keep pedigrees? (as a rat breeder I use Breeder's Assistant, and have added the Rabbit system to my computer, but do you use that or another program or what?

I keep all my info and pedigree's in my binder that I have breedings, and take with me to show's just incase I have babies to sell or somebody wants to look at them!

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I'm just curious what your plans are for facilities if it gets up to 130 degrees there?

Rabbits have a hard time with anything about 80, and 130 is quite dangerously high, when rabbits have died of heat stroke in degrees as low as 90. ;)

Oh, and my website is http://www.blueskyacresrabbitry.net76.net ;)

Emily
That is a good question.
I plan on setting it up in an area that I can close off and turn on an Air Conditioner.

And should that not work or anything, I will bring everybody inside.
My kits will be kept indoors all the time though. Until they are a certain age, then sent out to be with the rest.

How you have your Rabbitry set up, what kinds of cages do YOU use for things like breeding, living, Kindling? My rabbitry is located in my basement, I have both wood and wire cages, I use whatever is needed. My cage rows are set up along the walls of my rabbitry, i use cage numbers and cage tags. I also have a bunny yard out side it holds about 30 rabbits I let my bunnys run in there during the day.

Are you're rabbits wire floored or solid? Both wire and solid, my brood stock get wired floor, show rabbits and babies get solid floor so they do not get sore hocks.

What breed of rabbit do you have? Netherland Dwarfs, Dwarf Lop, Angora Lop, Satins and Flemish.

Do you have just one bunny per cage or multiple buns? Juniors here double up until about 4-5 months. Seniors have seperate cages.

Types of Food dishes, Water bottles/dishes, Hay racks or no? Medium sized rabbit bottles, J Feeders, Wire Hay Racks.

Litter Boxes or no? For pregnant does, or litters.

What kind of Bedding or anything do you use?The nest boxes are always packed with hay, Juniors get some hay, adults nothing.

Are Breeding for colors Important? Yes very importnant, its one of the most importnant goals in a breeding program.

Unlike Rats, I see that Mother-Son, Father-Daughter, and so on are ok. Not Litter mates though? Even if the chance of improvement is better then the chance of poor quality, or just not any improvement or decline at all. Dont inbred (Brother X Sister) babies normally turn out retarted, linebreeding is good for genetics (cousin etc)

I am still very new to this, but I have dutches, mini rexes, lionheads, and netherlad dwarfs. Right now they are kept inside in a very handy "Thump Tower" my husband built for me while we are trying to get things set up for an outbuilding. He also built me some runs and we try to get the bunnies out everyday. Most days they get between 3-5 hours outdoors (weather permitting) if you want to check it out my site is www.rabbittreerabbitry.webs.com

Good Luck!!!!! Getting started is fun but stressful!

With the rabbitry name that I want. I figured DSR would be good...
Well with that DSR is taken so I need a new Prefix. Any help?

And thank you btw way everyone for your help so far.

I love the webs people are providing.

How you have your Rabbitry set up, what kinds of cages do YOU use for things like breeding, living, Kindling? The largest cages are for the Velveteen's and the New Zealands, but my show bucks have the smallest cages, does keep their 'medium' sized cages. Coated wire and the vlops and New Zealands have resting mats

Are you're rabbits wire floored or solid? Wire with trays. the smaller cages are a coated wire, the big ones are a regular wire(hence sitting mats)

What breed of rabbit do you have? Velveteen, Dutch, New Zealand, a few Mini Rex and a few Holland Lops left

Do you have just one bunny per cage or multiple buns? my mini rex is mother/daughter only for company while mother gets old, Juniors are together until they are completely settled and ready to leave each other or they hit 6 months

Types of Food dishes, Water bottles/dishes, Hay racks or no? Litter Boxes or no? crocks or clip on metal dishes, my Vlops and mini rex have hay racks, along with any bred doe. water bottles, but they do know how to use dishes for when bottles freeze in the winter.

What kind of Bedding or anything do you use? bedding for nest boxes is a couple handfuls of shavings and hay, other than that, no bedding

What kind of food, Greens, Hay do you use and how much how often of what do you feed? 4-5 oz's a day for the smaller rabbits, handful of hay daily(if no hay rack) and greens like collards, dandalions or clover whenever possible.

Breeding your Rabbits:
How successful are each of your breedings?I've only had a few not take

Are Breeding for colors Important? depends, type over color certainly, but with the dutch I try to keep them to like colors so I don't get too many un recognized colors

Unlike Rats, I see that Mother-Son, Father-Daughter, and so on are ok. Not Litter mates though? I've seen it done, I personally won't do it, I would have to own several generations back so I know what the bloodline consists of-good and bad- before I would even think about it.

With your breedings do you leave them together or do you do the standard, wait til they breed, then try again a few hours later thing?I usually let the buck mount up at least 3 times the first day and then test the doe's reaction the next day.

Do your rabbits get run time? as often as the weather allows

What's with this show supplement that I keep seeing ya'll are talking about?I tired to use manna pro show, I noticed some improvement but not alot.
Do you have a website?
Yes, http://ayasorarabbitry.webs.com

How do YOU keep pedigrees? (as a rat breeder I use Breeder's Assistant, and have added the Rabbit system to my computer, but do you use that or another program or what?)I do use Evans now, it's an extra licsense off my friends copy so I just put return address labels over her address, with my address. I also keep paper copies/originals in a binder that go to shows with me.

Sorry for the late response - you've had some super responses - thought I'd add mine.

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
Everyone thank you so much, I am learning more on everyone's different ways, yet similar ways, then I did reading online at different spots.

I still need ideas for a rabbitry name.

Also when breeding your rabbits, lots of folks say bring the girl to the male because the male will be more focused and all that jazz.

With your breedings do you leave them together or do you do the standard, wait til they breed, then try again a few hours later thing?

I do one of two things. I either put the male in the outdoor dog run first to let him get used to it - and then add the doe a few minutes later and watch them until they mate and then leave them together for a while if they are not fighting...OR I will take the doe to the buck's cage.

I prefer to use the outdoor run even though the does lead the bucks on a not-so-merry chase. Still yet - the does seem to enjoy it - its almost like it feels "natural" to them as if they were in the wild.

I have also used the bathroom at times with the door shut. But I prefer to use a bigger space than a buck's cage.

When I do use the cage though - I have left them together for hours (usually in the next room so I can hear if there are any problems).

I do watch for the first and hopefully second breedings though.

Do your rabbits get run time?

Yes - but not as much as I would like. My does get the most run time as they are out probably 12 hours a day (to 18 hours) three days per week. The boys get out pretty much 12-18 hours once a week - because they fight if let out together. (I pretty much break the does into two groups based upon personalities).

My dream is to have about 5 dog runs so I can put all my bucks out at one time for several hours when it is nice outside....and let the does play inside.

What's with this show supplement that I keep seeing ya'll are talking about?

I just started mine on a new thing - I'm using Manna Pro sho supplement plus calf manna plus oatmeal. I may make up two different batches - one without the calf manna for the hollands. When it gets cooler - I'll add a bit of black oil sunflower seeds to the mixture.

I really like the way their coats are so soft, etc. right now.

Do you have a website?

Tiny's Texas Legends

Feel free to check it out - I just published it this weekend and am still adding more to it.

How do YOU keep pedigrees? (as a rat breeder I use Breeder's Assistant, and have added the Rabbit system to my computer, but do you use that or another program or what?)

Evans Software - hands-down the BEST for support. Since I bought my software back in 2005 - I've had about 6 computer crashes and had to redo things - including get new registration files. One of the times was this week.

They've always gotten back to me within hours -and when I called them this week to pay for the upgrade to the new version - they were a lot of fun to talk to and so helpful.

I paid for the deluxe version and it is one of the best investments we ever made for our rabbitry. It was a Christmas present from Art in 2005.

Thanks for the info Peg, I have a brochure about Evans now, I will so be getting that, (might still use BA too though, since I am addicted with it for my rats. lol)
I like your website ^_^

I use calf Manna and oats in my rat food mix so I guess I can just a lil extra for my buns then ^_^

Another question for you all out there.

What BRAND of cage to you use?
(is there a site for that?)

There are several brands of cages:
KWCages
Brass Equipment

Just to name a few off the top of my head, lol. And yes, there are websites. You could google search them, and they will come up. ;)

I personally don't even know what brand my cages are, as I bought them off of another breeder....will have to check later. ;)

Emily

Thanks again everyone soooooo much help ^_^
I Like Martin's myself but they are a pain in arse to put together >_< But they are well worth it. hehe

One more question and it may be it lol
What do you put IN your cages?
Such as toys or dishes and such.
I know alot of breeders do put toys to pass their bunnies boredomness lol so I was curious as to what you put in there.
I know there are hard toys and stuffed toys. What do you use? I think I saw someone that had a puppy ring in their bunny cage? (Misty was that you? how do the bunnies like it? does it stand up to bunny abuse?)

yes yes to the barracks with me lol I said one more question and I added a million ^_^

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
Thanks again everyone soooooo much help ^_^
I Like Martin's myself but they are a pain in arse to put together >_< But they are well worth it. hehe

One more question and it may be it lol
What do you put IN your cages?
Such as toys or dishes and such.
I know alot of breeders do put toys to pass their bunnies boredomness lol so I was curious as to what you put in there.
I know there are hard toys and stuffed toys. What do you use? I think I saw someone that had a puppy ring in their bunny cage? (Misty was that you? how do the bunnies like it? does it stand up to bunny abuse?)

yes yes to the barracks with me lol I said one more question and I added a million ^_^

There are alot of simple inexpensive toys that I use ;)Like washed out laundry detergent lids, toilet paper roles, baby keys,boxes, paperbags filled with hay,and branches from my apple tree. I use some store bought toyslike hangingchewsbut it can get expensive when you're buying for so many buns :wink

A favorite among mine is an emptycereal box stuffed with hay and other little treats like veggies or bits of fruit. Its hilarious watching a group of juniors playing with it :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back