Rabbitry Cage Design

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't know what to say I guess but ok. Rabbits in the wild spend 80% of there lives underground just sleeping, sitting and going to the bathroom. I follow the arba's care recommendations for rabbits and cavies, but I guess we will just agree to disagree.
WILD rabbits spend most of their time underground. Domestic rabbits do not. They are totally different. Also, please rethink breeding rabbits because it just adds to the number of rabbits with no homes. There are thousands of dumped rabbits in shelters and you breeding more of them, just makes everything way worse. Please please please do not breed. I can not stress this enough. DO NOT BREED RABBITS!

Rabbits deserve to be either in a decent size hutch with a run or to free roam. To keep them in small cages is cruel.

I completely agree. Stressed out rabbits with no space to run can also reabsorb litters or behave aggressively towards their young, not to mention have no quality of life. I'm certainly no expert on breeding, but I know historically this is why there is not industrialized rabbits in food production, they will not tolerate poor conditions like chickens. It's not a good idea to have rabbits in any capacity unless they can be offered a good quality of life.

I also want to say, breeding rabbits (bad itself) is even worse for show. Rabbits deserve lives filled with love and care. Rabbits are not props. They are loving beings with feelings and BIG hearts. Rabbits should either be free roam in a house or room, or in a LARGE x-pen for dogs. Rabbits do not belong in sheds or outside. Don't come at me with the usual, "wild rabbits live outside" stuff because like I said, they are totally different. Domestic rabbits have been bred to rely on humans for food, water and shelter. They do not know how to protect themselves outdoors. They are prone to mites and diseases.

They still deserve a decent life with a decent sized cage. I breed Holland lops which are small - and they live in 2ft x 4ft cages.
If they live in a shoebox with no room to move, they won’t be in good body condition and probably won’t show well OR breed well TBH.
Many rabbitries don’t use such large cages for their show and breeding animals. If they are allowed out for exercise and given attention then it should be fine. I just think the OP is underestimating her total space needs, unless she’s going to have a very small rabbitry. Using a shed definitely needs enough airflow to keep the smell down and allow air to flow through for the rabbits.

Many rabbitries don’t use such large cages for their show and breeding animals. If they are allowed out for exercise and given attention then it should be fine. I just think the OP is underestimating her total space needs, unless she’s going to have a very small rabbitry. Using a shed definitely needs enough airflow to keep the smell down and allow air to flow through for the rabbits.

Well if I will ever need more space we DO have another shed it is just full of stuff and will take a good few days to clear out or maybe a day to clear a wall for it. I just was going to use this for now.

Well if I will ever need more space we DO have another shed it is just full of stuff and will take a good few days to clear out or maybe a day to clear a wall for it. I just was going to use this for now.

just make sure you have enough air circulation in the shed. You can use screens over the windows. Do you have a way to put power in the shed? You’ll need light and possibly fans.

just make sure you have enough air circulation in the shed. You can use screens over the windows. Do you have a way to put power in the shed? You’ll need light and possibly fans.

Well we can possibly attach it to an extension cord and maybe cut a hole through the screens and attach it through there or we could possibly put it through the door handles since there is a gap between the handles. What kind of light would I need to use? Also would it be okay for the summer until I get one?

It depends on how warm your summers get if you would need fans. As far as lights, you could use lights that run off batteries.
Are you sure your shed is only 24” wide?

It depends on how warm your summers get if you would need fans. As far as lights, you could use lights that run off batteries.
Are you sure your shed is only 24” wide?

Ok thanks. But do you think the lights will lighten my Havanas coat or will artificial light not do that?
And my shed is actually about 30" wide but the shelves are 24".

Latest posts

Back