Rabbit won’t leave bed and she’s very shy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YashiJ

Reaction score
I got 2 new rabbits a few days ago. I started free roaming them yesterday. My dad opened their pen this morning and one of them( Pickles ) went under my bed and won’t come out now. I fed her a little banana and then she went back. She super shy and scared of everything. My room isn’t rabbit proofed( I picked the wires up tho). She hasn’t left for food water or anything. She’s just chillin there.. my other rabbits is downstairs doing his own thing. Is it normal for them not to be together? should I leave Pickles? I have to do work and it’s gonna be a bunch of noises and she’ll be super freaked about it. Should I just leave her there?

Attachments

• B0F3AB32-1776-4E6C-A9BA-BB3F8C19DFB0.jpeg
    B0F3AB32-1776-4E6C-A9BA-BB3F8C19DFB0.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 6
It’s only been a few days and she may be scared and overwhelmed. Being under the bed is her “safety net”. Do not force her to come out until she’s ready to. Imagine yourself in a new place, not knowing anything and being scared. Give her time. She will eventually come around.

I wouldn't leave her there, unless you'd want her to have her safe place there for every time she feells unsafe.

I think you started free roaming too early. It would be best for them to stay in a smaller cage or enclosure for a week or two, it would feel safer if you cover it with a blanket so they can have their privacy and get used to your home your noises and everything but being in their safe hidey place so that would be their home base for later when they free roam.

After a week or two you could attach a playpen to that and keep ther smaller place open so they can come out whenever they want and explore more. Their tiny place will be their safe place and they will come back there when they need their safe place.

Then after a couple weeks or months you can expand their territory to one room, then even more, then free roam. That way they will be confident where to go if there's any danger, or get some food/water etc.

I don't say you only have to do what I described there are many ways, I just think that way is safe for them ad gives them time to explore their new home gradually so less stress for them.

I got 2 new rabbits a few days ago. I started free roaming them yesterday. My dad opened their pen this morning and one of them( Pickles ) went under my bed and won’t come out now. I fed her a little banana and then she went back. She super shy and scared of everything. My room isn’t rabbit proofed( I picked the wires up tho). She hasn’t left for food water or anything. She’s just chillin there.. my other rabbits is downstairs doing his own thing. Is it normal for them not to be together? should I leave Pickles? I have to do work and it’s gonna be a bunch of noises and she’ll be super freaked about it. Should I just leave her there?
Btw she is she and the other rabbit is he? How old are they are they both neutered?

Once they've had time to acclimate to their new cage (when you first got them), their first wanderings should be in a limited space. That's what I use an ex-pen for. If you have an ex-pen cage, then use another pen or two to create a larger roaming space outside the cage/pen. The roaming space should be gradual , as @zuppa mentioned. Too much space too soon isn't good and they could start claiming separate territories which can break a bond. They should be together. Their space should be limited and only gradually expanded.

Your rabbits probably are still getting used to their new surroundings, try leaving them alone for a day or two

Your rabbits probably are still getting used to their new surroundings, try leaving them alone for a day or two
I did she finally left for food but thanks, should I stop free roaming them or now that I’ve opened it should I leave it?

I would not free roam them now. They will get into bad habits (already are with staying apart). It is ok to create a limited roaming space. Don't expand for about a week or whenever they remain consistent with their potty habits (whichever comes last). When you expand, again, it will be still limited. It should be done in increments.

I see. Their litter habits have been very good so far and they’ve only pooped near or in the box. Ill have a pen setup right outside their room so the can explore it but not free roamed yet

Attachments

• 39918A2F-5AB0-402F-91DF-F6CB76EF2E8B.jpeg
    39918A2F-5AB0-402F-91DF-F6CB76EF2E8B.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back