Rabbit won’t eat!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzPizzazz

Reaction score
My sweet little Jazz has just been desexed and I understand that she doesn’t want to eat, but I don’t want her to get GI Stasis. I have tried feeding her banana, lettuce, pellets, and cucumber, but she will only drink. I don’t have critical care. I was wondering what food rabbits can’t resist or what else she can have? She is quite fussy and doesn’t like apples. She won’t eat her hay either.

It takes time after a neuter/spay until your bunny start eating. One of my buck only ate lemon balm and it was first in the middle of the night he started to eat hay. Which was after 10 hours from when he was neutered. It's good she's drinking, I think it took around 8 hours until my bunny started to eat a bit lemon balm.

You can soak pellets and make it into a porridge which will make it easier to eat and see if she'll eat it, you can also mash a bit of banana. But you shouldn't feed anything your bunny aren't used with otherwise it can also mess up the stomach. It's good that she's drinking water at least and just keep an eye on if she start to eat anything.

It takes time after a neuter/spay until your bunny start eating. One of my buck only ate lemon balm and it was first in the middle of the night he started to eat hay. Which was after 10 hours from when he was neutered. It's good she's drinking, I think it took around 8 hours until my bunny started to eat a bit lemon balm.

You can soak pellets and make it into a porridge which will make it easier to eat and see if she'll eat it, you can also mash a bit of banana. But you shouldn't feed anything your bunny aren't used with otherwise it can also mess up the stomach. It's good that she's drinking water at least and just keep an eye on if she start to eat anything.
Thanks so much!

How long has it been since you took her in for the spay and when she last ate? A rabbit shouldn't go more than 24 hours without eating a sufficient amount, though even at 12 hours I start to intervene. If it's been 24 hours you need to call your vet as you will need a syringe feeding mix and instructions on feeding as your rabbit will need to be syringe fed until she starts eating on her own.

For my rabbits that had the hardest time getting back to eating after their surgery, I had the best luck getting them eating by offering leafy greens like cilantro, parsley, carrot tops, dark leafy lettuces. One rabbit would only eat a little bit each time so I gave him as much wetted greens as he would eat, every half hour for about 36 hours, then he gradually started to eat more normally after that.

A few things about post surgical care, a rabbit won't recover well or want to eat if they are hypothermic, so it's important to monitor their temperature and if chilled, take active measures to keep them warm. With mine I would regularly check their ears as that gives a good indication of body temp. If they felt cool at all I would provide some sort of rabbit safe heat source, like a snugglesafe or warm pack, and make sure they were warming up by or on it. It's also important that they have a take home pain med, preferably meloxicam, that is dosed at the higher range to help control pain. I don't like the narcotic ones because they tend to be given at a dose that causes lethargy and the gut to further slow down.
https://rabbit.org/post-surgical-af...s to begin,24 hours consult your veterinarian.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html#neuter

How long has it been since you took her in for the spay and when she last ate? A rabbit shouldn't go more than 24 hours without eating a sufficient amount, though even at 12 hours I start to intervene. If it's been 24 hours you need to call your vet as you will need a syringe feeding mix and instructions on feeding as your rabbit will need to be syringe fed until she starts eating on her own.

For my rabbits that had the hardest time getting back to eating after their surgery, I had the best luck getting them eating by offering leafy greens like cilantro, parsley, carrot tops, dark leafy lettuces. One rabbit would only eat a little bit each time so I gave him as much wetted greens as he would eat, every half hour for about 36 hours, then he gradually started to eat more normally after that.

A few things about post surgical care, a rabbit won't recover well or want to eat if they are hypothermic, so it's important to monitor their temperature and if chilled, take active measures to keep them warm. With mine I would regularly check their ears as that gives a good indication of body temp. If they felt cool at all I would provide some sort of rabbit safe heat source, like a snugglesafe or warm pack, and make sure they were warming up by or on it. It's also important that they have a take home pain med, preferably meloxicam, that is dosed at the higher range to help control pain. I don't like the narcotic ones because they tend to be given at a dose that causes lethargy and the gut to further slow down.
https://rabbit.org/post-surgical-af...s to begin,24 hours consult your veterinarian.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html#neuter
Thank you so much! I tried feeding her nasturtiums at five hours after the surgery and a while later, I found that she had eaten some of it. I have also made Jazz a rice heat pack, which can keep her warm. The vet has given me three doses of meloxicam, and gave her a dose after she came out of surgery.

My sweet little Jazz has just been desexed and I understand that she doesn’t want to eat, but I don’t want her to get GI Stasis. I have tried feeding her banana, lettuce, pellets, and cucumber, but she will only drink. I don’t have critical care. I was wondering what food rabbits can’t resist or what else she can have? She is quite fussy and doesn’t like apples. She won’t eat her hay either.
In addition to Hermelin's suggestion to soak pellets, a vet suggested apple juice (raw unfiltered) to soften pellets or blend with critical care when my bun was having trouble eating. Hope that helps, too.

Latest posts

Back