Rabbit with injured leg, cant walk, and no money for vet.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yheween

Reaction score
Friend from another town didn't want to care for the rabbit. When I got him, he had a limped leg. He injured that leg further and can barely walk

I have no money for medical bills. We are all very poor. I live in a rural area in a developing country.
The farmer vet wants a lot of money to see him

Everyone online is telling us I am bad for not being willing to pay for bills. But I literally have no money other than to feed me and my younger sister. I didn't ask for this rabbit to be born... if I didn't take him in, he'd be dead in 3 minutes with his limp leg. I was atleast trying to give him some shelter.

But people keep saying I'm a bad person and that "I shouldn't have a pet rabbit if I couldn't afford to take care of it".. should I just have let it die out in the woods when his owners didn't want him?

There is no one in area who can take him in. There are no shelters or societies. What should I do to make him feel more comfortable because he is moaning a lot and in pain and I can't do anything.

Not all options are available to all people, you sound like you are doing the best you can with what you have.

While none of us currently on this site are veterinarians, we can do our best to help you from afar taking into account the resources you have. I'll ask a few questions to see if we can figure out what is going on. Which leg is hurt? How long has he been limping (that you know of)?

See if you can learn what is causing the leg to hurt. Look for broken skin or blood. Feel the leg in comparison to the leg on the other side that he is not limping on learn if the hurt leg feels different. Can you feel heat, swelling, or bones that feel different and could be broken?

While you learn these things and give us some more information, keep him in a space where he can't move around and hop/walk on the injured leg. This will help prevent him from injuring himself more. Good luck and I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Do you have a picture of the leg?

Don't listen to those people. What matters is that you are trying and that you care about the rabbit.

For now I would try to restrict his movement so he doesn't injure it further, so put him in a carrier if you have one. Hopefully in a place that is dark and quiet where he can feel safe and secure.

If it's a recent injury that hasn't started healing yet, the most important thing is to keep the rabbit confined to a smaller area so it doesn't hop around too much and further aggravate the injury, like Sablesteel suggested. Then you have to make sure your rabbit continues eating, drinking, and pooping normally while he is healing. Restricting the rabbits movement needs to be done for about 4-6 weeks.

If you have access in your country, to the anti inflammatory pain medication meloxicam as a suspension syrup, I would give the correct dose of that twice daily to help alleviate some of the pain. Dosage for rabbits is 0.3-0.6mg/kg twice daily.

https://www.vgr1.com/metacam/

if this is an old injury that has already healed and your rabbit is still showing signs of being in pain, I think the kindest thing to do at this point would be to have the rabbit put to sleep so it is no longer suffering needlessly. Otherwise he will just continue to suffer in pain the remainder of his life, which I'm sure you don't want.

Latest posts

Back