Rabbit with 2 litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum3

Reaction score
I have a mini lop who has just given birth to her 3rd litter. Her first litter all died. Her second litter 4 died and 1 survived and he is now 5 weeks old and she has just given birth again to 4 babies and all are looking good.

I don't need people telling me it's to close and she shouldn't bread I've heard it before. She is my kids rabbit and we are in the process of a major move so can't get to a vet but will be neutering the male. They are separated now.

My question is.
The mother bites as has done since young. She never bites my kids just me and twice she bit her 1st live one around 3 weeks enough to break the skin so I removed him and just put them together to feed. Now I have separated male and female I have all 5 babies with mum but unsure if I should remove all babies and only leave her in while monitoring her feeding? Incase she hurts all of them as I'm unsure if she killed the others or they died as they seemed big for her tiny body.

If she's been ok and nursing them, I would be inclined to continue to leave them with her until weaned, providing she doesn't start showing signs of agitation or aggression with them. One thing that can help is if she has a shelf of some sort that she can hop up to and get away from them when she wants, when they're old enough to leave the nestbox.

If she is showing signs of agitation or aggression when they nurse now, or you are at all concerned that she might, then it might be best to separate and only return them to her for nursing. Regardless, you will probably need to wean the older one now or soon, as he may deprive the new kits of mom's milk.

https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Baby_rabbits_(domestic)

I have a mini lop who has just given birth to her 3rd litter. Her first litter all died. Her second litter 4 died and 1 survived and he is now 5 weeks old and she has just given birth again to 4 babies and all are looking good.

I don't need people telling me it's to close and she shouldn't bread I've heard it before. She is my kids rabbit and we are in the process of a major move so can't get to a vet but will be neutering the male. They are separated now.

My question is.
The mother bites as has done since young. She never bites my kids just me and twice she bit her 1st live one around 3 weeks enough to break the skin so I removed him and just put them together to feed. Now I have separated male and female I have all 5 babies with mum but unsure if I should remove all babies and only leave her in while monitoring her feeding? Incase she hurts all of them as I'm unsure if she killed the others or they died as they seemed big for her tiny body.
I recently had a rescue in the same exact situation. I weaned the younger one and then added him back once the younger ones were sturdy enough. Worked quite well for us.

Latest posts

Back