Rabbit whining/whimpering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy587

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my bunny is an inside boy. I figured he would like some outside time today in the sun, so I put him in his outside hutch (first time he's been out there since I got him during winter) and when I was putting him in, he made this weird little whining sound.

And then a few hours later, I went to go check on him again and as I was walking away he made the sound multiple times again. Is he okay? It sounds like a dog whining, I've never heard him make that sound before apart from today.

Can't explain the whining sound. Perhaps you could capture it on video?

But if he hasn't been in that hutch since last winter, it would be considered brand new to him. That would be a scary transition for many rabbits. They like consistency and suddenly being switched to a new place can be frightening and unfamiliar.

On the rare occasion I take my rabbits outside, it is only for short periods and with me right there with them the entire time. It is also in an exercise pen so they can see me (presuming they feel safer that way).

That would be some of my guesses anyway.

They May be in distress! It’s a new area and if they are used to seeing you every day it may be distressing to them that you walked away and are not close to your rabbit. Rabbits usually only whimper when they are in pain or distressed. Since this is a new environment they may be stressed or there could be some animal outside with them that is distressing them and they want you to return them inside.

Latest posts

Back