Rabbit viruses and my cat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Sorry I’m posting again, but I do have a different question.
I have 4 rabbits. 3 are bonded and live together in a shed and run outside.
my fourth bunny lives inside, in a room off of our garage (in an xpen)
We have a cat aswell. He lives in our “garage”
He is allowed out during the day (I understand people will have differing opinions in this, but he is not my cat). He also goes near my bunnies, especially the inside one, even to the point where they play between the pen bars.
This morning, my neighbour said her husband saw our cat with a dead baby rabbit in his mouth the other day.
This has sent me into a panic, as we only have the cylap vaccine here in Australia. I am panicked now that our cat will bring some disease home with him, and transmit it to my bunnies

Could a cat transmit diseases to my bunnies like that?? How can I try and protect my bunnies?

Yes there is the possibility. But it's also just as likely for disease to pass from biting insects, as this is the usual vector for rabbits contracting these diseases, like myxo.

But the greater risks that I see posed from a cat to a rabbit, is a bacterial infection from a cat scratch or bite, which can easily be fatal to a rabbit very quickly. Rabbits can also contract toxoplasmosis from cat feces. So I would make sure your rabbit can't come in contact with the cats feces at all, and if the cat is trying to scratch or bite at your rabbit at all through the pen bars, even just in play, then I would block access so the cat can't be around your rabbit at all.

I know you were feeling in a bit of a panic, but please don't bump up your thread so soon after posting,. You need to give people time to respond. Most of us aren't on here 24/7, and will comment when we have the chance. Plus it's against forum policy. If you do need an immediate answer to a health concern, it's best to go straight to asking your rabbit knowledgeable vet for the info you need.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rabbitsonline-forum-policy-and-decorum.10320/

Yes there is the possibility. But it's also just as likely for disease to pass from biting insects, as this is the usual vector for rabbits contracting these diseases, like myxo.

But the greater risks that I see posed from a cat to a rabbit, is a bacterial infection from a cat scratch or bite, which can easily be fatal to a rabbit very quickly. Rabbits can also contract toxoplasmosis from cat feces. So I would make sure your rabbit can't come in contact with the cats feces at all, and if the cat is trying to scratch or bite at your rabbit at all through the pen bars, even just in play, then I would block access so the cat can't be around your rabbit at all.

I know you were feeling in a bit of a panic, but please don't bump up your thread so soon after posting,. You need to give people time to respond. Most of us aren't on here 24/7, and will comment when we have the chance. Plus it's against forum policy. If you do need an immediate answer to a health concern, it's best to go straight to asking your rabbit knowledgeable vet for the info you need.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rabbitsonline-forum-policy-and-decorum.10320/
Oh, I’m so sorry, I had absolutely no idea that that policy existed. I won’t do it again :)

thank you for responding though :)
My bunnies don’t have any contact with the cats litter box, so that’s okay in that regard. I had no idea in regards to the cat scratches though to be honest, but I suppose it makes sense because it’s the same with people.

i will keep the cat away from my bunnies.
Is there anything else you’d suggest I do to protect my bunnies more??

It doesn't mean cats and rabbits can't get along or even live together. Some owners do have cats and rabbits that get on well together. It just needs to be done carefully, and not done if a cat is trying to use the bunny as a chew toy.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Relationships_with_rabbits
I'm presuming your rabbits have all been vaccinated(VHD) and are current on their yearly boosters?

It doesn't mean cats and rabbits can't get along or even live together. Some owners do have cats and rabbits that get on well together. It just needs to be done carefully, and not done if a cat is trying to use the bunny as a chew toy.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Relationships_with_rabbits
I'm presuming your rabbits have all been vaccinated(VHD) and are current on their yearly boosters?
Yes, they are vaccinated six monthly, and we’re done only a week ago.

The cylap vaccine only covers for rhdv1 though

Latest posts

Back