Rabbit Vaccination in US?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyHunny17

Reaction score
So we just adopted out rabbit, Flower, and her previous owners never got her vaccinated. I've been reading that in the US rabbit vaccinations are not widely available, but I want to make sure she is protected as she will be playing outside (she's an indoor rabbit with supervised outdoor playtime)

I'm guessing a rabies vaccine would be advisable.
I know that RVHD is on the rise here so I definitely want to get her that
Does anyone else in the US have any recommendations for rabbit vaccines?

No vaccines for rabies or anything else available in the US. There is currently an outbreak of RHDV in the Southwest of the US. The vaccine for it is not yet approved. However, IF a vet is USDA certified AND they can document confirmed cases in their area, then they may be able to get special approval to import the vaccine from Europe. The process takes weeks or longer. The vaccine would need to be given annually for protection in those areas with outbreaks.

Other than that possible exception for RHDV2 vaccines, there are no other vaccines for rabbits.

Here's the link from this forum that explains some more on this:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/bunny-ebola-how-to-prevent.99064/#post-1150842

Latest posts

Back