Rabbit urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnabunn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My rabbits never really pee outside their litter boxes so I never know what exactly is “normal” urine. For the past two days my doe (un spayed) has been going into my kitchen and leaving poops and peeing in the same exact spot! She leaves the poops scattered which I think she is doing to mark her territory. I noticed the urine looks yellow and cloudy though. Or is this color normal? She is currently on unlimited alfalfa pellets because she was nursing 7 babies. I will be switching her back over to the adult pellets soon since the babies are now almost 8 weeks and they can stop nursing from her. Just curious as if this color of urine is normal?

Attachments

• E156590C-A716-4FE9-8653-2F9F06534AF6.jpeg
    E156590C-A716-4FE9-8653-2F9F06534AF6.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 3
Colour is normal, the cloudyness is an indication that she gets a lot more calcium than she needs, so yes, getting her off alfalfa probably is a good idea.

If the urine would be completly clear for a prolonged period that would be a sign for a deficiency and more of a problem with a pregnant or nursing doe, so some sediment settling in a puddle of urine is quite normal and the way rabbits regulate their calcium levels, shouldn't be too much though. bladder sludge can be a problem, especially with less active rabbits.

If you have any trouble cleaning the stains - put vingar on it, works wonders even when it is dried up and normal detergents are not up to the task.

Colour is normal, the cloudyness is an indication that she gets a lot more calcium than she needs, so yes, getting her off alfalfa probably is a good idea.

If the urine would be completly clear for a prolonged period that would be a sign for a deficiency and more of a problem with a pregnant or nursing doe, so some sediment settling in a puddle of urine is quite normal and the way rabbits regulate their calcium levels, shouldn't be too much though. bladder sludge can be a problem, especially with less active rabbits.

If you have any trouble cleaning the stains - put vingar on it, works wonders even when it is dried up and normal detergents are not up to the task.
Thank you! I’m glad it is within normal color. I also did suspect it was from the alfalfa pellets. Her babies are old enough to be weaned now so I’m going to slowly transition her to her normal pellets and Timothy hay.

Latest posts

Back