Rabbit turning aggressive!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mei

Reaction score
So as many of you know, I got Yuki at the beginning of December, she was fixed in November. We instantly got attached! She is my little princess. Never have had a single issue. Now suddenly my 2 year old and I woke up, got out of bed, and she growled and was charging at him!!! It literally was so scary!!! Then she started doing it at me!!! She has NEVER done this.

Yesterday before bed , my other male rabbit came and kept trying to get through her gate in her territory so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it? I don't know. This is very unusual and truly heartbreaking. Please, any advice would really help!

I don't know what could be happening, but I'm really sorry she's acting aggressive towards you!:(
She's getting back to normal kind of, she's acting afraid still though, I think it's because of Snowy trying to get at her again. Im deep cleaning the bedroom today to make sure his scent isn't anywhere by the room. She came up and laid her head on my foot for pets so she's slowly getting back to normal! I'll have to just keep monitoring it. Give her extra love today !

It's called referred aggression, where their fear and/or territorial behavior is taken out on the first thing they see, like you. If your other rabbit evokes this type of reaction from her, you definitely need to be very careful to prevent any interaction there, as bites from this type of aggression aren't just nips but can cause serious damage. And also make sure your girl bun is ok and acting normally again before allowing any interaction with your child.

She does seem like the sweetest bunny! I love the pictures and story you shared of how she loves to snuggle on your bed under the blanket and pillows.

The good thing about referred aggression is that it's temporary. They don't stay that way and it's not really directed at you except by mistake. They settle back down into their usual personality and routine. And she can eventually get used to your other rabbit and no longer feel nervous about him. I had a new bun that did the same thing after I first got her 8 years ago, and she never did it again after that. She's old now, almost 10, but has been one of my sweetest bunnies, always running up for pets and licks.

She does seem like the sweetest bunny! I love the pictures and story you shared of how she loves to snuggle on your bed under the blanket and pillows.

The good thing about referred aggression is that it's temporary. They don't stay that way and it's not really directed at you except by mistake. They settle back down into their usual personality and routine. And she can eventually get used to your other rabbit and no longer feel nervous about him. I had a new bun that did the same thing after I first got her 8 years ago, and she never did it again after that. She's old now, almost 10, but has been one of my sweetest bunnies, always running up for pets and licks.
She is so amazing 😍😍 I really do appreciate you telling me that! She is completely back to normal now!! I could definitely tell it was accidental because when she started to lunge at me, she instantly put her head down after and snuggled her head into my hand!!! Like she was saying sorry mom! 🥺🥺🥺🥺 It made me cry I felt so bad!

She is so amazing 😍😍 I really do appreciate you telling me that! She is completely back to normal now!! I could definitely tell it was accidental because when she started to lunge at me, she instantly put her head down after and snuggled her head into my hand!!! Like she was saying sorry mom! 🥺🥺🥺🥺 It made me cry I felt so bad!
Almost 10 and does that still? I love it!! So sweet 💖

While I'm totally late to this post, I've seen this sort of behavior relating not to human stimuli, but to other factors that I, with my dull human senses interpreted as towards people. In Willa's case, I thought she was being afraid and aggressive because of the sounds of a party down the street and me clattering around way too late, but she was showing her anxiety about my landlord's cat, who was sitting outside the cracked door. She stopped and growled and rushed for a good five minutes before I noticed what she was really afraid of. I totally agree with Jbun's assessment that this burst of aggression is temporary, but look around to see if you can find out what triggered it. there may be something a miss that probably isn't a big deal, but reducing the stressor could reduce the chance that she has another moment of referred aggression.

Reactions: Mei
Well you guys, I think it may be my son she's afraid of idk! Everything was fine, until we woke up again, we got out of bed, didn't even go by her and she CHARGED at my son non stop I had to throw a blanket over her quick and get him out of my room!! I feel completely devastated. I don't know what to do now. I can't stop crying, I love her but I can't have her doing this to my child!!! :(

And on top of it, we realized our sons asthma has gotten worse since we got her, so we need to go need to go get him tested for allergies. He may be allergic to rabbits in general. I feel really down. This is just awful.

So update for everyone, the thought of bringing her back to the humane society literally sent me to tears. I cried all day I couldn't stop, so we sat there and decided that we are going to buy an xpen and start slow from there. I want to get to the bottom of this because it's only towards my son and it started 2 days ago. It's very strange and scary but I am not giving up on her. And also, the doctors said no rabbit allergies!!! If anything it's a mild pet dander allergy which is what I have, so we are going to be working on alot of stuff tonight to minimize it and get our bun back to her friendly loving self.

So update for everyone, the thought of bringing her back to the humane society literally sent me to tears. I cried all day I couldn't stop, so we sat there and decided that we are going to buy an xpen and start slow from there. I want to get to the bottom of this because it's only towards my son and it started 2 days ago. It's very strange and scary but I am not giving up on her. And also, the doctors said no rabbit allergies!!! If anything it's a mild pet dander allergy which is what I have, so we are going to be working on alot of stuff tonight to minimize it and get our bun back to her friendly loving self.

I'm really sorry that Yuki is acting like this towards your son. I'm glad he doesn't have an allergy to her, and I'm glad that you decided to keep Yuki. I really hope things get better for your situation! I'll be praying for you!

Latest posts

Back