Rabbit tricks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
Does anyone teach their rabbit(s) tricks? I really want to try to train my girls a few simple tricks :)
what tricks do you teach your rabbits, and how did you go about training them?
Thanks!:headflick:

Natasha will stand up on command, or twirl in a circle. It was easy to train her - those are natural behaviors when she's excited about getting a treat, so I just repeated the command "Up" or "circle" while she was doing it, then rewarded her with a craisin or banana chip. After a few times, she'd do the trick on command.

That's basically how she learned many of the commands she knows - "go in" (to go into her cage), "come", or "lie down" - I'd watch her do something, then give the command and a treat. She learned "bedtime", "breakfast", "treat" and "dinner" entirely on her own.

Echoing what Mike said.
Tippy knows the same things, but slightly different commands. She responds to "uppy" and "spin" much better. She also knows "Tippy, want a nana?" means come over here and get a treat, and when I make a kissing sound, she comes over from wherever she's hiding to show me she's not getting into any mischief.

Like Mike said, reward them with treats when they do it. For "uppy", I'd sit on the floor and have some leaves from cilantro hanging out on the desk and I'd tell her "uppy" and hold my hand up, and she'd stand. So she'd get a little leaf. Finally she learned to do it without the hand motion.

Rabbits respond to clicker training. The first thing I'd do (after charging the clicker, obviously) is target train. You can teach nearly infinite tricks from a good target.

I had been clicker training Timmy before he passed. We were working on come and target. Watson knows to come running when I shake the cup of pellets...

I clicker trained Rascal, but once I adopted Appledot, it became impossible to use the clicker when they're both begging for treats. I'd really need to separate them to train them each individually, and I haven't had time for that lately.

However they both know spin, up, and kiss (touch their nose to my nose). Rascal also knows "paw", which he does very deliberately, and is SO adorable. It was a bit harder to train, took a couple weeks.

They also know what "breakfast time" and "dinner time" mean, they go crazy running and binkying and circling each other. And I think they're starting to learn "banana" when I give them my banana peel (crazy, but they love banana peels).

I'd love to train them for agility. Rascal is a better listener, however he doesn't like to jump very much. Appledot is a super strong jumper, she jumped clear over the entire couch one day, but also very stubborn. She'll growl if I don't give her a treat fast enough! So... we'll see. Maybe this summer when I have more time we'll do some more serious training.

And a quick video:
[ame]http://youtu.be/blp32WTFqAc[/ame]

Latest posts

Back