Rabbit Trancing??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with this topic. I have heard about how you can put your bunny in a trance by tipping it upside down and it will stay still. My daughter discovered inadvertantly that SunDancer does this. She will tip her on her back and the rabbit is in a trance like state. She can pose her like a doll. I have just read somethings saying this is very dangerous and cruel to a rabbit as it puts them in a fear mode of some kind. None of the other rabbits did this, only SunDancer, and we didn't realize it was dangerous or cruel. Any feed back would be appreciated.

I avoid trancing as I have also heard that it is quite terrifying for the rabbit, as they're essentially paralysed in that position.

I don't think it is dangerous or cruel per se, but it's probably confusing and very uncomfortable at best. It can be necessary to flip them to check their bums or clip nails, but I too avoid it otherwise.

I also understand with show rabbits, that they have to get used to being handled in this manner in some ways. They do flip them over to check their feet and make sure they have been taken care of properly

I don't believe it's dangerous or cruel, but I don't do it unless I need to. It definitely helps to calm one down when you have it on it's back and snuggled between your arm and side. Our vet will do it to check teeth, which I much prefer over anesthetizing them to do it. It's true that rabbits being judged for show must be use to being turned over, but that's a little different than trancing them.

You should only do this when you have to. My rabbits (who are in their teenage phases) are too smart to let me do it to them anymore. I used to do it when I was trimming their nails when they were younger. This is the best video though for an alternative: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs[/ame]

Latest posts

Back