Rabbit tractors risky?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green2Rabbits

Reaction score
Do Rabbit tractors (in the lawn) increase possible exposure to walking mites/other parasites??? BTW it's in any territory to. Not fire ants but the normal black ones found on driveways.
At my apartment I want to let my rabbit have sun light for vitamin D and get fresh grass & weeds. The grass is cut every other week so it gets a decent hight and is about 60 yards from a flowing stream.
I'm just paranoid about my new 8 week old doe getting parasites. She already has slight dandruff but that's a topic for another post with pics.
Thanks!

Save for the tractor, I would be more worried about any pesticides your complex uses on the grass! Definitely ask about it before you put her outside to nibble, since that would be a more immediate danger!

As for the tractor, with RHDV-2 going around, I wouldn't risk it. There's no way to know whether or not you have wild bunnies about, and as this snippet from the FAQ page of Oxbow Animal Health's website says:

"RHDV2 can be spread through direct contact or exposure to an infected rabbit’s excretions or blood. The virus can also survive and spread from contact with carcasses, food, water, and any contaminated materials. People can spread the virus indirectly by carrying it on their clothing and shoes."

It's better to be safe than sorry, especially since your bun is so young.

My rabbits are out and about starting with 5-6 weeks, in an 250m² area, with a symbolic fence that doesn't stop them until they are about 10 weeks (need a better fence around my vegetable garden, the cabbage is already half gone :( ). Apart from the occassional tick no problem with parasites, or whatever. Of course it depends on how your area, climate and wildlife is like, and if there's a wild rabbit population. But there's no reason to get paranoid ;).
I know there's the risk of predators, living in a small valley with woods across the street, but I prefer to not trade freedom for safety, my rabbits can cope with that. But I do some things different than most.

and get fresh grass & weeds.
I'm just paranoid about my new 8 week old doe getting parasites.

At 8 weeks, rabbits are extremely sensitive to any diet changes. In fact, they should have no diet changes whatsoever -- especially if you just got her home. She should remain on only hay and pellets for another month minimum.

At 12 weeks (or later), she can be very slowly introduced to one type of green. This is a slow process, always checking for changes in poos. Fresh grass or weeds would be considered a diet change. It would be like giving her loads of a new 'green' all at once... very risky. It could cause serious upset with her tummy.

This is just concerning the effects of grass on her diet and not even considering any other potential risks of taking her outside. Diet alone would be reason to keep her off of grass at least until she's several months older than she is now.

When the time comes to introduce greens, this is a how-to:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

WOW Thanks!:oops: The landlord hasn't sprayed for anything so I'm good in that aspect.
Dang yeah my area is popular to wildlife that like water and 3 times this year I put out crack corn in the grass for the geese with babies. I know rabbits would probably eat that in the city. I will take that eye soar down. It doesn't look great anyway. Thanks alot!!!!!!!!
Save for the tractor, I would be more worried about any pesticides your complex uses on the grass! Definitely ask about it before you put her outside to nibble, since that would be a more immediate danger!

As for the tractor, with RHDV-2 going around, I wouldn't risk it. There's no way to know whether or not you have wild bunnies about, and as this snippet from the FAQ page of Oxbow Animal Health's website says:

"RHDV2 can be spread through direct contact or exposure to an infected rabbit’s excretions or blood. The virus can also survive and spread from contact with carcasses, food, water, and any contaminated materials. People can spread the virus indirectly by carrying it on their clothing and shoes."

It's better to be safe than sorry, especially since your bun is so young.

My rabbits are out and about starting with 5-6 weeks, in an 250m² area, with a symbolic fence that doesn't stop them until they are about 10 weeks (need a better fence around my vegetable garden, the cabbage is already half gone :( ). Apart from the occassional tick no problem with parasites, or whatever. Of course it depends on how your area, climate and wildlife is like, and if there's a wild rabbit population. But there's no reason to get paranoid ;).
I know there's the risk of predators, living in a small valley with woods across the street, but I prefer to not trade freedom for safety, my rabbits can cope with that. But I do some things different than most.
Thanks for the reply. Living in Wisconsin we have trees but no forest near by. I'm sure cotton tail are around though they are very common in the country where I grew up just outside my current city limits. I know for a fact that a skunk or 2 frequent my yard along with feral/pet cats.
My rabbit tractor is maybe 4 feet across by 6 ft long with the highest point being 4ft. It looks like a triangle that's long. I used pallets that I took apart to build it so the biggest gap in the side walls is 1.5" uncovered. Near the bottom I left some 4in gaps that I covered with 1"x1" cage wire left over from my build.
Skunks that hangout at night might mess up the grass to idk.
Thanks again!

At 8 weeks, rabbits are extremely sensitive to any diet changes. In fact, they should have no diet changes whatsoever -- especially if you just got her home. She should remain on only hay and pellets for another month minimum.

At 12 weeks (or later), she can be very slowly introduced to one type of green. This is a slow process, always checking for changes in poos. Fresh grass or weeds would be considered a diet change. It would be like giving her loads of a new 'green' all at once... very risky. It could cause serious upset with her tummy.

This is just concerning the effects of grass on her diet and not even considering any other potential risks of taking her outside. Diet alone would be reason to keep her off of grass at least until she's several months older than she is now.

Ok I heard this so I started one day slow then increased it but in a span of 4 days (way to fast for that age I know) However i think I misunderstood the man I bought her from. She is pretty big maybe 6" wide at her hips. The guy never gave me feed but when I gave her my grain.....and now grass her poop always looks like coco puffs. Perfect dry and circular drops.
I asked about breeding her with my Male that's coming in 3ish weeks and he said no problem so I think he probably said 8....Months old.
I was watching her poop carefully (in a normal way ;D)

I think the OP is a meat breeder as per their other threads so your suggestions for taking care of indoor pet bunnies are a bit irrelevant here

I think the OP is a meat breeder as per their other threads so your suggestions for taking care of indoor pet bunnies are a bit irrelevant here
Yes I am. It is outdoors strictly. Just trying to give it a dual diet of pellets and fresh greens.

PPS- Here are some farther away shots and an empty large yogurt container for size reference if that helps any. When she stretches out she is about 14inch long too. Not full size for her breed but not super young.

Yes. I didn't realize that until after I posted and stumbled across a different thread by OP.

Here, I just saw that mention of being in an apt and wanting to get rabbit outside for some occasional sunshine. :confused:

@Green2Rabbits please be sure to clarify when starting a new thread. With so many members, it is not possible to keep track of everyone's situation (indoor/outdoor, fixed/intact, baby/adult etc). Thanks!

Yes. I didn't realize that until after I posted and stumbled across a different thread by OP.

Here, I just saw that mention of being in an apt and wanting to get rabbit outside for some occasional sunshine. :confused:

@Green2Rabbits please be sure to clarify when starting a new thread. With so many members, it is not possible to keep track of everyone's situation (indoor/outdoor, fixed/intact, baby/adult etc). Thanks!
Honestly, with so many threads on breeding rabbits or meat rabbits in this forum I feel a bit irrelevant myself, I know this is a private site and it's up to admins to allow discussions on meat rabbits here, but I find it a bit strange putting two very different categories of rabbit lovers/killers into same site, I feel very disturbed and unsafe myself since my rabbits are all home pets some rescued from really bad situations I can accept some threads with accidental (truly accidental) litters and happy to help since I have some experience but all the how to breed, conditions commercial rabbits live in farms make me feel ill leave me speechless I find it very cruel to mix breeders and non commercial home pet owners together.
Especially when breeders take all space since everybody can see new posts and bumped threads, sometimes all top threads are related to breeding.

I also think this is bad for young girls who can get an impression that they can breed their rabbits easily and even make money from breeding, this often leads to deaths, very very sad.

Ok my bad will do. Thanks

Honestly, with so many threads on breeding rabbits or meat rabbits in this forum I feel a bit irrelevant myself, I know this is a private site and it's up to admins to allow discussions on meat rabbits here, but I find it a bit strange putting two very different categories of rabbit lovers/killers into same site, I feel very disturbed and unsafe myself since my rabbits are all home pets some rescued from really bad situations I can accept some threads with accidental (truly accidental) litters and happy to help since I have some experience but all the how to breed, conditions commercial rabbits live in farms make me feel ill leave me speechless I find it very cruel to mix breeders and non commercial home pet owners together.
Especially when breeders take all space since everybody can see new posts and bumped threads, sometimes all top threads are related to breeding.

I also think this is bad for young girls who can get an impression that they can breed their rabbits easily and even make money from breeding, this often leads to deaths, very very sad.
I am currently waiting on a site to approve my account once they see I'm not a bot and I will be gone. My rabbits are not sold for meat......if you feel any better. It is strictly for me myself and I. In fact I have a larger cage than what the minimum is for meat rabbits and a rabbit tractor. I also am going to tan the hide of the ones I kill.

A lot of cattle butchers will toss a cow hide if a farmer doesn't want it and no one will tan it. I actually talked to my local elk farmer and he was glad I asked since he doesn't tan the hide and no one locally does so the butcher tosses it.

I understand your stance on the subject and will not tell you my way is better than keeping as a pe.Just know that the rabbits I do eventually butcher will be used as much as possible. Also know that I'm only having 3 breeding pair 2 does 1 buck so it's not going to be a barn operation.
They serve a purpose but I'm doing it responsibly. If I didn't care at all about them I wouldn't be asking any questions.

I am currently waiting on a site to approve my account once they see I'm not a bot and I will be gone. My rabbits are not sold for meat......if you feel any better. It is strictly for me myself and I. In fact I have a larger cage than what the minimum is for meat rabbits and a rabbit tractor. I also am going to tan the hide of the ones I kill.

A lot of cattle butchers will toss a cow hide if a farmer doesn't want it and no one will tan it. I actually talked to my local elk farmer and he was glad I asked since he doesn't tan the hide and no one locally does so the butcher tosses it.

I understand your stance on the subject and will not tell you my way is better than keeping as a pe.Just know that the rabbits I do eventually butcher will be used as much as possible. Also know that I'm only having 3 breeding pair 2 does 1 buck so it's not going to be a barn operation.
They serve a purpose but I'm doing it responsibly. If I didn't care at all about them I wouldn't be asking any questions.
You seem like a really good person. I think @zuppa is just addressing the moderators in regards to mixing breeders and pet owners. I hope you don’t feel ‘chased out.’ You were really respectful and this is an age old debate on the forum. So don’t worry.

You seem like a really good person. I think @zuppa is just addressing the moderators in regards to mixing breeders and pet owners. I hope you don’t feel ‘chased out.’ You were really respectful and this is an age old debate on the forum. So don’t worry.
Thanks I'm trying not to ruffle any feathers here especially since most are keeping them as pets. Just thought my questions were pretty general and even knowledge pet owners might know.
Although it would be nice to know who are meat rabbit owners and there for have a better idea on such large rabbits vs the pets.
Thanks no most people here are great I just figure a forum with a group of other meat rabbit owners might have a better idea in doing things better on large scale.
I started on YouTube to learn but had specific questions so I figured time to find a forum. This was at the top of the list under rabbit forums lol.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back