rabbit thump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munsterkz

Reaction score
What does it mean when a ribbit makes a thumping sound with its feet. He has been doing it all day?

Rabbits thump for many reasons. If they feeldanger mine will thump long before a thunderstorm hits. Anger with meor other buns. I had one thump when she is in stasis. I had many thumpwhile in play. Mine thump at feeding telling me to hurry up.Do-do thumps when the house is changed around and hates guests overbecause I put them up during that time

Thumping is a way a rabbit alerts otherrabbits that there is danger in the area.I have 2 rabbits. My female rabbit does not thumpmuch at all , but then she is very laid back. Mymale rabbit is the thumper. He tends to be more on thenervous alert side. Loud sudden loud noises willmake him thump. Rabbits seem have sensitive ears toloud noises. Having said that. Trouble willsometimes thump when he hears loud noises from outside of thehouse. Guess he is telling us there may be somedanger. The key here is " learning " your rabbit ,they communicate with you in many ways. This does taketime. They can thump for other reasons, this iswere it helps to know your rabbit. There are good basic booksat the library that are helpful. Also you can learn a lotfrom the folks on this forum. I learned a lot justby having the buns and playing with them. I went to thelibrary and got books. I had to go to the children's sectionbut that was ok because it gave me some good basicinformation. I also buy a magazine that comes out once ayear. It is called "Rabbits USA". I buy it at thepet store. It has lots of good articles, photos and otherinformation. Reading that was how I found this website. Hope that you found some of this helpful.Having rabbits is a learning process, you learn something neweveryday with them. You will be thrilled when your rabbitlicks you. That means they love you.I hadTrouble almost 2 years before he "kissed" me, I guess he had finallylearned that he could trust me. Beckie P. S.Welcome to the forum. :D

The only time I have ever caught Flops thumpingwas when he was on the exam room table. He wasen't pleased that he hadto get a check up. lol

Elf will thump atmeif I forget tolet out of her cage immediatelywhen I come into the room. She also will thump if she wants her litterbox changed between regular changing times. :)

Minda

march 092.jpg

My rabbit's thump for a couple reasons. They areeither warning of danger or annoyed at me. They get annoyed when I'mtoo slow at feeding them in the morning or when I stop petting them orif I ignore them. It requires you to get to know your bunny before youcan fully understand what your particular rabbit is trying tocommunicate.

Elf Mommy,

That is one of the sweetest pictures of love I've ever seen. Thank you for posting it.

-Carolyn

I posted a while back on this, since Itended to disagree that it ONLY meant anger, danger or any othernon-positive form of communication. I do agree with everyone statingthat it helps to "learn" your rabbit, since they all have differentways of expressing themselves. *grin* For instance~ Jade expressesdiscontent with a situation with her thumping while Jezebel will do itout of pure happiness, I have seen her work it into her "floor routine"

REALLY, she is going to be a show girl one dayI tell ya, now......if she will only let me get a tutu on her! LOL

Cher

Latest posts

Back