Rabbit that loves to dig his litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesowner

Reaction score
I need help! This has been happening for almost 2weeks.
Blackie started digging in his litterbox and getting everything out of it.
He is destroying the pee pad I have inside of the litterbox and I am afraid that he'll eat it.
Any suggestions? Should i get him a digging box? Will that help? Or is it just hormones?
He is neutered since June.
He is almost 10 months now.
Thank you in advance!20220803_215608.jpg20220730_225626.jpg

Skip the pee pad. He's likely digging to play with it. Instead try some wood pellets (different than shavings) and top it with hay. It's possible he may dig initially to look for that pee pad that he's used to finding at the bottom. But he may stop the digging once he realized it isn't there anymore. The wood pellets are great for odor absorption and will last longer than a pee pad.

Once he's been given adequate time to adjust, if it is still a problem, a grate could be put over the pellets. But I wouldn't start off with that as it is just something else to clean and deal with.

Here's how to set things up with the wood pellets. (You can buy a 40 lb bag for about $7.)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
A dig box is always a fine idea. Just know that some bunnies will make the dig box a new litter box.

Skip the pee pad. He's likely digging to play with it. Instead try some wood pellets (different than shavings) and top it with hay. It's possible he may dig initially to look for that pee pad that he's used to finding at the bottom. But he may stop the digging once he realized it isn't there anymore. The wood pellets are great for odor absorption and will last longer than a pee pad.

Once he's been given adequate time to adjust, if it is still a problem, a grate could be put over the pellets. But I wouldn't start off with that as it is just something else to clean and deal with.

Here's how to set things up with the wood pellets. (You can buy a 40 lb bag for about $7.)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
A dig box is always a fine idea. Just know that some bunnies will make the dig box a new litter box.
I have wood Pellets and I usually put them on top of the pee pad.
He didn't have a problem with it untill now.
I like using the pee pads because its much easier to clean the litterbox that way but i guess he doesn't

I'll remove the pee pad and see if that helps.

I am still questioning the digging box because I am 90% sure what you said will happen. Or he'll probably won't even like it.

Thank you!

I'll also note that the high walls and slick material of that particular litter box can facilitate a rabbit to engage more with digging since the material bunches up and also moves back and forth a lot in response to the digging motions.

Latest posts

Back