Rabbit Teeth Issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGRabbit

Reaction score
Hi

I've just noticed that my young rabbit (6 months old) has different sized front teeth. From memory this is new; previously they were the same size. Based on the photo I've uploaded, is this something to be concerned about?

Otherwise she is behaving perfectly normal, eating well, running around etc... I'd rather not take her to a vet and waste 100$ just for them to tell me everything is OK.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200201_193432.jpg
    20200201_193432.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 12
Your bunny need the teeth to be trimmed and fixed at a rabbit savy vet. They will just keep on growing wrong and will cause pain and the other teeth can also grow wrong because the bunny will chew in a not correct way that wear down the cheeck teeth/molars.

Later on the bunny will stop eating. This will occcur after a while, so you definitely need to take your bunny to a vet. If the vet say it’s nothing wrong then you will need to go to another vet :)

I don't suppose ensuring she has more chew toys will help? I've heard that if you need to take a bunny to the vet to get it's teeth trimmed, it's likely to be a regular occurrence. Is that correct?

I don't suppose ensuring she has more chew toys will help? I've heard that if you need to take a bunny to the vet to get it's teeth trimmed, it's likely to be a regular occurrence. Is that correct?

It depends on if the teeth problem are from a wrong diet, chewing on wrong things and so on or it’s caused by genetics. If the vet do a good job, your bunny start to chew branches and eat a lot of hay the teeth will not grow wrong again but sometimes you are unlucky and it will be a regular occurrence. You will just wait and see, if the filing down of the teeth will work. But it’s a higher chance to be regular occurrence if the teeth grow wrong because of genetics.

I’ve heard about many bunny owners just needing to correct their bunnies teeth once.

More toys won’t help now because the problem have already started and your bunny already chewing wrong.

Judging from your photo I would take her to a rabbit savvy vet for first trim and also if they can check if there's any more teeth problems, I see like discoloration on bottom teeth but maybe just photo. After they fix them back to normal size so she can eat well now you know that there potentially teeth growing problem and take action just pay attention check regularly and provide with chewing toys but most importantly make sure she eats enough hay because that's how rabbits wear their teeth down.
You're good for checking her now she still can eat but if not fixed properly teeth can overgrow really quickly and she can stop eating some foods, then can stop eating at all and then GI stasis and she can die really fast.
Also you can notice eye problems often because of bad teeth.
Teeth are growing really fast if not in use, google overgrown teeth in rabbits.

Sorry, I was unable to respond the last couple of days. I'll be taking my rabbit to the vet hopefully tomorrow (there are no good rabbit vets around my area).

Hi Niomi, yes it looks like the other tooth has broken off rather than one outgrowing the other. I haven't noticed her biting the cage and she is a free roaming rabbit with wood toys to chew on so I wouldn't expect her to bite her cage to be honest.

She has had a very wet nose the past week and her teeth are also quite brown, so I'll see what the vet says. I've removed pellets from her diet and am just giving her oaten hay as I've heard that may clear up her brown teeth problem. (we don't have timothy hay in Australia and the local meadow hay is terrible so I've settle for oaten).

Latest posts

Back