RABBIT STOPS EATING AFTER SPAY!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
Yesterday I got my bunny, Hermione spayed at a animal spay and neuter assistance program. When she came home we put her in her playpen with her bonded bunny Skylar and we put a low sided litter box in there. We did all the necessities for her to make sure she’s comfortable and happy. We gave her her meds last night but I noticed she hasn’t eaten anything so i thought she was probably just really tired and she would eat when she’s more awake. This morning I gave her the medicine again and decided to give her some water through a syringe. She willingly drank a lot of water which made me happy but she still wouldn’t willingly eat. I decided to make a purée with banana (She LOVES banana). I mushed up some banana and added some water and put that in the syringe to see if she’ll eat it. She didn’t willingly eat it but I did get her to swallow and it is in her stomach. I am worried about her. What should I do to make her eat?

I called the vet where I got her spayed at. They didn’t pick up. The lady yesterday said that if we tried to call and they didn’t pick up they were probably in the middle of a surgery and that I could leave a message or text them. I texted them and told them what’s going on. I am now waiting for a response. I feel so bad for Hermione but at least Skylar (my other bunny) is trying to sleep with her and groom her which is so sweet.

It is quite normal for bunnies to not want to eat after neutering.

Top up the hay a few times a day to make it more appetising for her.

Soak her veggies in water so that she stays hydrated

As @Hermelin said in a different thread - ‘You can soak pellets and make it into a porridge which will make it easier to eat and see if she'll eat it, you can also mash a bit of banana. But you shouldn't feed anything your bunny aren't used with otherwise it can also mess up the stomach. It's good that she's drinking water at least and just keep an eye on if she start to eat anything.’

If she’s still not eating, call a different rabbit savvy vet and ask for their advise

Try to syringe feed pellets with a bit of mashed banana. It’s important now to get food in her stomach and get it to work.

I hope your get in contact with a vet, when it have gone so many hours without food. This is one of the dangers after a neuter/spay that the bunny won’t start to eat on their own. But keep on force feeding and help her to drink.

The only thing she’s been willing to consume is water. I have been able to syringe feed a little of the mashed banana and the soaked pellets but she’s reluctant to consume it. All she’s been doing is sleeping and has been pushing bowls away when I offer her mashed banana or soaked pellets.

She has been consuming what I feed her through the syringe she’s just been very reluctant. Should I continue feeding her through the syringe?

Keep on feeding with syringe, it’s good she’s gets food into her stomach and water. She should be start eating on her own later but keep an eye up and if she seem to get worse take her to the vet immediately.

Don’t feed too much mashed banana even though she loves it the most.

I hope your girl will soon start eating on her own.

She has now refused the syringe all together and me and my sister have started calling vets and talking to our parents about it. I hope we can find a place to bring her in and she’ll be ok.

If it hasn't been more than 24 hours since you took her in for her spay and when she last ate, then no need to panic, it'll be ok waiting for the vet to call you back. It's when it's been 24 hours that it's essential they start eating again. Have you tried offering any leafy greens like parsley, cilantro, carrot tops, or a dark leaf lettuce like romaine? After surgery my rabbits have been more inclined to want to nibble on leafy greens than anything else.

I have offered greens. A big variety of greens and she has refused a lot of them.

We went to a different rabbit savvy vet and they told us that the place where we got her spayed didn’t give us a enough pain medications so they gave her a shot and gave us some more pain meds. She has been a little more active and nibbled on a little of some greens earlier.

We went to a different rabbit savvy vet and they told us that the place where we got her spayed didn’t give us a enough pain medications so they gave her a shot and gave us some more pain meds. She has been a little more active and nibbled on a little of some greens earlier.
I am so glad you got pain meds to give at home. Bunnies need pain medication twice a day for 5 days after spay. It's criminal that the vet did not give you these meds. It is a serious abdominal operation! Most cases of post-spay problems occur because of not enough pain relief. Hope your bunny recovers soon.

Latest posts

Back