Rabbit stomach problems on antibiotics?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeachPuff

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Recently I brought my ten year old bunny to the vet to be treated for a mild but persistent cough. I had some blood work get done on him before putting him on any meds as his stomach is extremely fragile and I don’t want to give him anything unnecessary. He showed slightly high white blood cell counts so we have put him on antibiotics.
Unfortunately, exactly what I was expecting is happening. He almost immediately started showing his usual signs of stomach pain. I’ve given him some gas drops and have gotten him to eat a bit so he is doing better and (as we go through these motions often) am pretty sure he will be fine- but I don’t want to do this every day of his antibiotic regimen. It’s stressful on me and stressful for him. Is there anything I can do to help him out? I ordered some probiotics but I’ve heard very mixed reviews on them.

Last edited:
Probiotic efficacy is contested, yes, though it doesn't show signs of hurting to add a probiotic.

You can check-in with your vet if there's another antibiotic that could be tried which may be more agreeable to your rabbit. Not all antibiotics are alike, so it's possible another medication can still be effective while also not upsetting your rabbit's stomach.

Latest posts

Back