Rabbit started biting me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny254367819364

Reaction score
Hi. Sorry for how long this is. My male rabbit, who I’ve had for 3.5 years now, recently started biting me. This morning he bit me so hard it bled. I adopted a female rabbit 5 months ago and about 2 months ago they started living together in a large xpen with an attached dog cage. The dog cage is where I keep their litter boxes because it has an easy access door. Every morning I normally give them some pellets and then open the door to let them play in the room while I clean their boxes and then I give them vegetables afterwards. The female rabbit usually runs to play in the cardboard box playground on the other side of the room but my male will often sit by me as I clean the litter. I try to sweep out the dog cage floor with my hand to eliminate hay and fur etc. between vacuums. Well this morning as I was doing that my male rabbit went inside the dog cage and lunged at my hand twice and bit it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why? He’s never acted so aggressively towards me before ever. Was he mad that I was inside of his area? The female rabbit nibbles at our clothes but never our bare skin. Did he maybe learn to bite us from watching her do it? I’m pretty sure he eats enough. I don’t think that the female is bullying him for food, also they always have access to 3 different kinds of hay. Right after this mornings incident he let me pick him up and feed him cilantro so I don’t think he’s scared of me? Any ideas would be great thank you!

It's cage aggression. You were messing with what he considers to be his area and he was telling you to let it go. Don't take it personally. You'll just need to be sure that he's not nearby when you are reaching your hand into his space to clean it out.

Latest posts

Back