Rabbit spraying!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Arlo is 6 months old. I’ve had him for 4 months. He just recently starting to spray urine and I’m very nervous to get him neutered. I feel so guilty that I haven’t been spending a lot of time with him because I don’t want to keep getting sprayed by his urine. I know it’s normal, but it’s very annoying. I can’t let him out of the playpen until he gets neutered because my mom doesn’t want him to spray the house so unfortunately he’ll just have to stay in his playpen until we get him neutered. I know he has plenty of room in there but I feel bad because he’s used to having the whole living room to himself to roam around. I sit in the room far away from his pen so he at least knows I’m around and doesn’t get lonely.

Actually, in our experience only a few of our intact bucks sprayed. Getting him fixed sooner, rather than later, is best because the longer he does it the more chance it will become a habit that might or might not go away after he’s neutered.

Not only annoying, @Arloismybunny, male urine and spraying can really stink up the house!

Once our rescue Flemmie got neutered, no more spraying or smelly area.

I wish they would put tags at every location a rabbit or baby bun is located because many humans may not do their research on hormonal behaviors. I understand about finding a rabbit-savvy DVM who will take excellent care of your boy for his surgery.

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/house-rabbit-behavior-and-bunny-body-language

A long time ago we had discussions on recommended vets in particular areas of the USA.

Unsure if these DVMs are still practicing? However, obtaining word-of-mouth advice from fellow bun owners in the area -- or a reputable rescue - is beneficial. I just ran a quick RO search to see if DVMs in NJ would link up.

Keep us posted, please. I don't regret for a moment that our buns were altered so there is no smell or jet hose spraying to mark us as love objects. It's amazing how far boy hoses can send urine flying.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/new-jersey.39959/#post-577579

I volunteered at a humane society for several years. Nearly all the rabbits surrendered were not fixed or neutered. Some shelters offer a low-cost sp/euter clinic for low-income families to prevent overpopulation of the thousands of pets seen on Petfinder, Craigslist, and not having a devoted forever home. Thousands are brought in as strays, as my avatar girl was.

Our DVM clinic is specialized in exotic care for small mammals and will do surgeries on guinea pigs and rabbits. I agree with @JBun . Neuter surgery is pretty safe, but any type of surgery carries risks. Our clinic is not a cheapo clinic - and they take the steps to do blood panels and lung xray.

Hope you can locate a DVM who speaks bun language and has expertise in alteration surgery.

http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/JerryWellnessNeuterPage.html

Arlo is 6 months old. I’ve had him for 4 months. He just recently starting to spray urine and I’m very nervous to get him neutered. I feel so guilty that I haven’t been spending a lot of time with him because I don’t want to keep getting sprayed by his urine. I know it’s normal, but it’s very annoying. I can’t let him out of the playpen until he gets neutered because my mom doesn’t want him to spray the house so unfortunately he’ll just have to stay in his playpen until we get him neutered. I know he has plenty of room in there but I feel bad because he’s used to having the whole living room to himself to roam around. I sit in the room far away from his pen so he at least knows I’m around and doesn’t get lonely.
Arlo? What a cute name! Yes get that boy neutered. I always regretted not having mine neutered. He would want to hump certain times of the year and I always felt bad. Also, he only sprayed me occasionally but never my husband as he treated him like the 'big bun' and I was more of his servant lol. It's just a way of him marking his territory. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back