Rabbit show jumping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd really like to get into this. I'm sure Reuben could do with losing some weight; maybe this would help! I need to start building stuff. Great pics.

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Wow! Jabberwocky is jumping that high already!? Very impressive! :)
I want some tips! lol. You guys seem to make training sooo easy. :p

Emily
You need an ADHD rabbit that wants to be with you and will run toward you. It is also helpful to have everyone on one side of the jump to avoid distraction. Jabberwocky is one such rabbit.
Rabbits with an attention span can take longer to train and just need time to work it out. Once they get it, they go.

Anaira wrote:
I'd really like to get into this. I'm sure Reuben could do with losing some weight; maybe this would help! I need to start building stuff. Great pics.
same here. bugs is starting to get a bit flabby:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin2:.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:

Emily
You need an ADHD rabbit that wants to be with you and will run toward you. It is also helpful to have everyone on one side of the jump to avoid distraction. Jabberwocky is one such rabbit.
Rabbits with an attention span can take longer to train and just need time to work it out. Once they get it, they go.
He was that one day, but ya gotta admit, he was doing pretty darned good at the New Years Eve thing. He just needs some time to get used to kids who don't know not to shake the fence... And have poles come flying at him from a certain someones Amelia.

Kipcha wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:

Emily
He was that one day, but ya gotta admit, he was doing pretty darned good at the New Years Eve thing. He just needs some time to get used to kids who don't know not to shake the fence... And have poles come flying at him from a certain someones Amelia.
It's not her fault that she is terrified of hoards of screaming children. She didn't mean to scare him, she just was scared herself. It's the poles fault really for being so happy to fly around. :p
Maybe they can race again when there is less of a crowd, like Friday.

i dont blame the bunnys for being scared i mean with thoses big ears u can hear every thing:lalalala:

Here is a video of the incident that scared Jabberwocky. This is Amelia running, but you can see the pole fly.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/87GRGLxlh4c&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

issyorabbit wrote:
i dont blame the bunnys for being scared i mean with thoses big ears u can hear every thing:lalalala:

That's for sure! That group has probably been one of the worst we've performed for so far so I'm glad that we're probably not going back there. That was the first time I've really had an issue with one of my rabbits actually getting scared, normally they're too focused on what they are doing and what we're saying to them. My lop, Babbitty, actually gets rather excited that so many people are watching him :D

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Here is a video of the incident that scared Jabberwocky. This is Amelia running, but you can see the pole fly.
Blast those rowdy poles and their nasty habbit of flying about! Poor little Amelia, she was definitely one of the most scared rabbits there. Those kids were just so rowdy, I was seriously keep and eye to make sure they didn't shove over a fence and crush a bunny when we were performing. They were constantly reaching through the bars too, it was almost tempting to let one of them get nipped to get the message through to not grab at them.

Kipcha wrote:
issyorabbit wrote:

That's for sure! That group has probably been one of the worst we've performed for so far so I'm glad that we're probably not going back there. That was the first time I've really had an issue with one of my rabbits actually getting scared, normally they're too focused on what they are doing and what we're saying to them. My lop, Babbitty, actually gets rather excited that so many people are watching him :D

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Blast those rowdy poles and their nasty habbit of flying about! Poor little Amelia, she was definitely one of the most scared rabbits there. Those kids were just so rowdy, I was seriously keep and eye to make sure they didn't shove over a fence and crush a bunny when we were performing. They were constantly reaching through the bars too, it was almost tempting to let one of them get nipped to get the message through to not grab at them.

Events like that one make me like Pet Expo type events all the better. People just hang out and watch with some cheering. The bunnies can focus better and the only real issue is any dogs that might be around. Even the Children's Hospital is great and they are respectful and not noisy. At least we had fences or it would have been Heritage park fall fair all over again, darn grabby kids.

do you think if you trained rabbit enough you wouldn't need a lead. i've seen on each of hese vidio's they all need a lead do you think it's posible?

Having the rabbits off leash does depend on a few factors. Some clubs tend to practise and compete outside more, this can be distracting for the rabbits and without good fencing it can be dangerous to have them running around off leash. Also, some of the courses don't flow in a way the rabbits tend to understand as much, so the leash is used to help direct the rabbit.
If you are in a safe area and the rabbits know what they area doing, then you can have them off leash. With our club, most rabbits do compete off leash, but it is the handlers choice. Most new rabbits are on leash to start with until they know what they are doing.
You really need to know your rabbit and be comfortable with the area. If you don't feel they are ready to go off leash, then don't let them off. If you would like to try, just make sure the area is safe for them if they do run off course. I would not recommend trying off leash for the first time in a competition as you don't really know what they will do.

All my rabbits can now compete off leash. However, there can be a few times when they may need to be on leash if they get unfocused or are skipping obstacles. If we are outside, they may need to be on leash though.

My rabbits all run off leash. Heck, Jabberwocky and Willow do the course without even having a person around.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEbEyBq2R8s&feature=related[/ame]

*Sigh*, looking at these vids I realise how awesome my buns are :)

I have been doing this since 2006 and I founded the Canadian rabbit hopping club in 2007. However, in that video, I had only been working with Jabberwocky for about 4 and a half months, so he got the hang of it real quick!

Haha, that is my newest girl Flynn, she's been going for about 2 months now. She's a real sweetheart and not the fastest, but definitely is one of the most adorable. She's getting better though, she just needs some work!

You guys really need to come out to Vancouver and do a demo! ;)

Gus has lost interest in hopping. But watching these videos makes me want to break out his agility equipment again. Maybe I will in the basement and see if he's interested in trying again... :)

Rue

Latest posts

Back