Rabbit set up.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha27x

Reaction score
Hey, I've been looking in to buying a baby rabbit for a while, I've done some research, but one thing I can't figure out is the setup, I am going to be keeping a indoor rabbit, so I've looked at different types of inclosures, I was thinking maybe a dog crate and it has the removable tray, but where do I put the litter tray? Would it be fine to put outside of the crate, I'm going to be keeping it open all day, but will it be possible to train the rabbit to go to the litter tray if its outside their own area?

Kind regards.

Welcome to the forum!

A large dog crate would work great for a home base for your bun!
Generally, the litterbox and the food bowls would go in the crate so that the toys, a hidey house or two and whatever else they have would go outside the crate. But it would be totally fine to have the littertray outside of the crate too! Whatever works best for you!

I would also recommend an xpen set up - at least before you start to free roam, as this will help the rabbit settle in easier. Free Roaming how-to

Please adopt, don't shop! Especially when you are new to bunnies, it is so much easier (and cheaper and far less stressful as well as the ethical thing to do) to adopt an established bonded pair from a rescue centre. This link shows what you need as an indoor setup: Indoor Housing Have a read of this page and the rest of the site: New to Rabbits

Most people looking to get their first rabbit assume that the best option is to start with a baby. And for many species, this is a good option. But not with rabbits! "Oh, but I want it to get used to me and bond with me"-- is the common thought but simply isn't true.

There are multiple reasons why it's best to begin with an already fixed (post-hormonal) rabbit. So I'd encourage you to check out the following page. You won't want to make a decision without first knowing the pros and cons. ;)

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html

If you are not already a member, please join the UK rabbit group on FB. You can ask on there about rescue centres near you.

Latest posts

Back