Rabbit safe products to help with HEAVY HEAVY matting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31452

Reaction score
I have recently taken in an Angora foster and she is E X T R E M E L Y matted. (She was a stray let loose apparently) I did use some rabbit safe shampoo to help clean her butt under the faucet as it was a solid pancake - don't know how she could have defecated. Any how - it is SO tight to her skin around certain areas - I am slowing working at it to release the matts - but is there any products (like a "conditioner" ) of some sort that might help to loosen it a little - at least so I can find an access between her skin & her mattes? I seem to have her anal area under control - she is not getting buildup any longer there - but there are so many other areas that are bad. I did also free up the mattes around her foot pads, bc that has to eventually create an issue I would think.

I had the Matt problem when I adopted a bunny I had to end up cutting them out than brushing through it. There isn’t really anyway to brush through it without causing a lot of pain to your bunny.

Sorry forgot to add if it is close to the bunnies skin cut the top than in the middle it should loosen.

I had the Matt problem when I adopted a bunny I had to end up cutting them out than brushing through it. There isn’t really anyway to brush through it without causing a lot of pain to your bunny.
Yeah, definitely been trying to cut them....again they are close to the skin. I have a thinning scissors also trying.

I was wondering if there was anything I could add to a shallow tub of water (like a hair conditioner - but SAFE for the bun) I find that just using my fingers massaging the mattes trying to get them to release far enough from the skin work the best so THEN I can safely cut them away. They definitely need to be CUT out! I am envisioning something that softens the fur would make it easier.

Latest posts

Back