Rabbit Room

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yurusumaji

Young Blood
Reaction score
Hi guys! I was wondering if people could give me tips and ideas on how to setup a bunny room.

My husband is deeply concerned about the rabbit "destroying" the room (chewing trim, damaging floor, spraying wall (even though he's litter-trained), etc.). I have seen images of lovely rabbit rooms, but am having a harder time finding detailed descriptions on how people protected the room from bunny teeth and the like.

Help me quell my husband's fears and get my bunny his very own bedroom. :) Thank you in advance for any and all help you can offer!

I was in your same position when I set up our rabbit room. the best thing I found was to have things that she likes to chew. If there are plenty of better options, she won't bother with the baseboards. Much. It really helps, but there will be a bit of exploratory nibbling here and there, but the room won't be destroyed. My bun hasn't touched the baseboards but does chew the trim near the door sometimes to get our attention. Since she isn't chewing that for chewings sake, she would probably leave off if we hung a bell for her to ring.

So, that is what worked for us, a large selection of things to chew on. Pay attention to which ones your rabbit likes and be sure to have plenty of her favorites on hand. Hope this helps. Have fun with your rabbit room!

We tiled the whole floor and also replaced the baseboard with tile. Neutering will take away the desire to spray, but they will still chew on any thing they can get to, so we have a 3 story cardboard box castle, pans full of paper and a whole host of toys and wicker huts and baskets. We also have a giant Shop Vac to clean up the room daily.

Unless you have carpet, I don't really think there's any potential for destroying the floor. Some rabbits are perfectly fine on carpet, Bandit is not. As for the baseboards, some people tack something on over the baseboards, like another long, narrow piece of timber that can be chewed, or some plastic capping. Bandit gets free roam of the living areas when I'm home to supervise and he has only on two occasions had one or two chews of the baseboards, but it's more him testing things out than actually chewing. It will be more noticeable if they're painted, but if they're plain timber you won't even notice he's tested it out. I actually have a couple of pieces of pine that I have laying along the edge of the room as something for him to chew in case he gets the urge :p

These are excellent tips and ideas, thank you! My husband is already feeling a little better about the idea. :D

We don't have a "rabbit room" per say. But our bunnies roam free in the main living areas of our house. (family room, dining room, kitchen, hallways) I realize this may not work with all rabbits, but it has worked with our past... oh, 5 rabbits (3 pairs of rabbits, but one rabbit is on her second mate).

This kind of freedom means we just make adjustments as we go. We've used the pine 1x3s to protect baseboards in the past, but when we moved, the bunnies lost interest in baseboards so we didn't have to cover them in the new place.

So however you set things up, expect a learning curve for trial and error as you figure out what works and doesn't work for your individual bunny.

collage Mocha & S inside full reso.jpg

Make sure there are no wires under the carpet or on the walls and only very high up. I started by putting an x pen around the walls so they wouldn't chew them up and put down Lino which wasn't slippery as well as carpet mats to sit on.

my rabbit has her own room down in the cellar. i bought foam tiles to cover most of the linoleum floor. they aren't hot like carpeting, but they give her traction, unlike wood or linoleum. i used c&c grids to block her out of area too..

Latest posts

Back