rabbit rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morchall

Reaction score
Today I went to the rabbit rescue with my roommate for the second time to help clean the cages.
Unfortunately the day was off to kind of a bad start when one of the other volunteers there was wearing an article of clothing with a logo that kind of...activates my fight or flight response. It kind of threatened to sour the rest of my time there just because of how apprehensive seeing it proudly displayed makes me.
(The logo is associated with a hate group. Just so we're on the same page. Please do not ask me to elaborate as I don't want to start any discourse.)
Fortunately though, I was working in the sanctuary in a different room with the disabled and elderly rabbits. They were all so adorable and sweet.
One of them has head tilt and he's just the cutest little guy, he was zooming all over the place because he was so excited about getting a treat after cage cleaning.
They said "he's not going to get adopted" which made me really sad because I know someone else's rabbit who has head tilt and he's just the cutest friendliest little guy and it breaks my heart that this rabbit probably won't get adopted because he needs extra care.
My roommate was making a huge fuss over all the bunnies and looked like he was going to cry. I could tell he secretly just wanted to take all of the bunnies home with us. He was giving them lots of personal attention and pets.
We cleaned all of the cages in the room, but my roommate started sneezing and suddenly didn't feel well so we went home after only an hour. He was feeling bad but I told him not to worry and that we could just stay longer next time. After we left my throat felt scratchy, so I'm assuming we both are a bit allergic to the hay they use there and will probably need to just pop an antihistamine before we go over there from now on.
I think the volunteering is overall going to be a good experience for us, we get to see a lot of very cute and friendly bunnies and help them.

Today I went to the rabbit rescue with my roommate for the second time to help clean the cages.
Unfortunately the day was off to kind of a bad start when one of the other volunteers there was wearing an article of clothing with a logo that kind of...activates my fight or flight response. It kind of threatened to sour the rest of my time there just because of how apprehensive seeing it proudly displayed makes me.
(The logo is associated with a hate group. Just so we're on the same page. Please do not ask me to elaborate as I don't want to start any discourse.)
Fortunately though, I was working in the sanctuary in a different room with the disabled and elderly rabbits. They were all so adorable and sweet.
One of them has head tilt and he's just the cutest little guy, he was zooming all over the place because he was so excited about getting a treat after cage cleaning.
They said "he's not going to get adopted" which made me really sad because I know someone else's rabbit who has head tilt and he's just the cutest friendliest little guy and it breaks my heart that this rabbit probably won't get adopted because he needs extra care.
My roommate was making a huge fuss over all the bunnies and looked like he was going to cry. I could tell he secretly just wanted to take all of the bunnies home with us. He was giving them lots of personal attention and pets.
We cleaned all of the cages in the room, but my roommate started sneezing and suddenly didn't feel well so we went home after only an hour. He was feeling bad but I told him not to worry and that we could just stay longer next time. After we left my throat felt scratchy, so I'm assuming we both are a bit allergic to the hay they use there and will probably need to just pop an antihistamine before we go over there from now on.
I think the volunteering is overall going to be a good experience for us, we get to see a lot of very cute and friendly bunnies and help them.
I have never had the time to volunteer at a rescue or anything because we have good size farm here, but it always makes me smile when I see someone volunteering. You are doing such an amazing thing helping that rescue, and bringing joy to rabbits who had little before being rescued.

Glad you both had a great time and I definitely agree with you taking allergy pills before you go again. I remember when I went to 4H rabbit club meetings with my first bunny, there would be over twenty bunnies in a large semi-enclosed room. My throat and eyes would get itchy, and I'd start to sneeze. And I am not allergic to rabbits.

A few rabbits won't trigger allergies but many might (even if you aren't allergic). It has to do with the fur concentration in the air (the type you can't see) especially if there is no actual ventilation system in the building. Think years of invisible fur buildup where when you clean an indoor cage, everything gets flung back into the air again which you breath in. If you both take an allergy pills before going, it might solve any potential issues so that you can enjoy spending more time there. :)

thanks to the people who replied! I'm trying to find more people in the area to volunteer or possibly foster some of the bunnies--the rescue is currently over capacity because they took in several pregnant rabbits who had about 50 babies all together. they're really needing help right now. I'm considering making a facebook page specifically to try and convince other people in my area to help out or foster/adopt bunnies.
Also the antihistamine made me SUPER sleepy so I might just take half of one so I'm not falling asleep while I'm there!

thanks to the people who replied! I'm trying to find more people in the area to volunteer or possibly foster some of the bunnies--the rescue is currently over capacity because they took in several pregnant rabbits who had about 50 babies all together. they're really needing help right now. I'm considering making a facebook page specifically to try and convince other people in my area to help out or foster/adopt bunnies.
Also the antihistamine made me SUPER sleepy so I might just take half of one so I'm not falling asleep while I'm there!
But then you could wake up to bunnies hopping all over you!🤗

On a more serious note, I think there are a few good non-drowsy allergy pills out there~

Latest posts

Back