Rabbit Rescue Volunteering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I continue to ask the rabbit rescue about volunteering after the initial application?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Morchall

Reaction score
I haven't posted on this forum in two years. Had a lot happen since then. I became disabled and with that combined with the pandemic I have rarely left my house since then except to go to medical appointments/procedures.
I recently heard that the nearby rabbit rescue had to take in something like 80 rabbits, so I figured I would apply to volunteer there. I think it would be a good way to get out of the house and do something for once. I also think it would be really rewarding and good for my health, and I want to be able to help the bunnies of course.
I have applied and even sent them an email explaining why I want to volunteer. I have heard from many people that this rescue is pretty bad at getting back to people about volunteering, often they never call back, and I'm a bit worried they wouldn't want my help because I can't do as much as someone else might be able to. It seems like they would need a lot of help with the new rabbits coming in, but it's been over a week since I applied and I'm just anxious about it because of other people's accounts of their applications being ignored.
I realize they are busy and may not have time to look at applications, but I wanted an opinion; would it be bad/inappropriate of me to call them or go in and sort of "bug" them about it? I know some people say this is something to do if you are applying for a job, but some others say it's a bad idea if you apply for a job because it shows you're too eager or will be annoying or something.
This is for volunteering and not a job, so I'm not sure if it's comparable, but I don't know if going in in person and asking would be inconvenient or a burden for the people already working there.
Has anyone here worked at or volunteered at a rabbit rescue or any kind of animal shelter before? Do you know if it would be good or bad to continue to ask about volunteer opportunities after the initial application/email? I would not be calling/going in every single day or anything like that, just asking every so often.

I would wait for two weeks after your initial application to follow up with them. Emails sometimes get lost, so it’d be better to make live contact…..by phone, or in person. Ask if they received your application, and if they think you fit together. If not, then “have a nice day”, and move on to another opportunity.

There are other shelters, or vets, or any number of organizations that’d love to have you as a volunteer. I work as a hospice volunteer, you might like that, but you have to go through some training. It’s not hard, though.

Keep trying, until you find the right organization to work with. Good luck!

If they're anything like my local rabbit rescue, they're too busy and too proud to ask for help, even when they need it. I'm sure my situation is different, but I've found I have to just show up and get put to work. They would never ask me to do a thing, but I know they appreciate the help. It's not like they pay me... it's just volunteering. One time, they were very short staffed, and the person who normally takes the garbage to the dump was out for an extended period. I asked many times if they needed me to take the garbage, and they always said something along the lines of "no, thank you", but one day I came by and it had really piled up. (For clarification, the garbage was in bags behind the building, not anything unsanitary for the animals or anything, just an annoyance) I borrowed a truck and came back and hauled the trash to the dump for them. They were very grateful, just thought it improper to ask for help, even though I was offering.

My local rabbit rescue means a lot to me, and I just don't think they're used to people sincerely wanting to help.

But, there's a fine line between initiative and criminal trespass... :cool:

If they're anything like my local rabbit rescue, they're too busy and too proud to ask for help, even when they need it. I'm sure my situation is different, but I've found I have to just show up and get put to work. They would never ask me to do a thing, but I know they appreciate the help. It's not like they pay me... it's just volunteering. One time, they were very short staffed, and the person who normally takes the garbage to the dump was out for an extended period. I asked many times if they needed me to take the garbage, and they always said something along the lines of "no, thank you", but one day I came by and it had really piled up. (For clarification, the garbage was in bags behind the building, not anything unsanitary for the animals or anything, just an annoyance) I borrowed a truck and came back and hauled the trash to the dump for them. They were very grateful, just thought it improper to ask for help, even though I was offering.

My local rabbit rescue means a lot to me, and I just don't think they're used to people sincerely wanting to help.

But, there's a fine line between initiative and criminal trespass... :cool:
I feel like this is part of it, considering just how many people have told me this rescue never called them back.
The weird thing is that they advertise on their website that they need volunteers for many different things, and like I said, they just took in a whole bunch of rabbits...so it's rather silly to me that they seem to not ever get back to people who are interested.
I don't think it is about qualification either since our family friend told us their daughter, who is an actual rabbit vet, had her application ignored as well.
I will try to go in and ask them in person, since it's been almost two weeks now. I'll try to be assertive and show that it's not some kind of bother for me.

Yeah, I mostly just wash cages and change out hay, so I don't have any special skills either...

I honestly think that anyone willing to run a rescue is just too darn nice!
oh yeah, I have friends like that, they don't want to accept any help because they don't want to "bother" people. Don't want me to go out of my way at all for them even if I don't mind. Won't allow me to pay for ANYTHING for them, but want to pay for everything for me. they're just too darn nice and too darn stubborn.

UPDATE: I tried calling them but no answer. Probably going to go in and ask sometime this week.
Also, I tortured myself by looking at the bunnies they had for adoption on their website...they're all so cute and I want them...

Latest posts

Back