Rabbit Rescue in Toru, Poland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovelops, I think somebody just decided to set him free :/

Chrisdoc, yes, Duszek is a wonderful bun - he is not scared of anything and he is always looking for food :p

Cyzia will have to undergo a surgery - there is a big stone in her bladder, so please, keep your fingers crossed, as she is an older lady.

DSC04732.JPG

Czesio's poops are still very small so we put him on metoclopramide - in case of such an obsese bunny, lack of appetite may result in fatty degeneration of the liver.

Bilecik had his teeth trimmed yesterday. He was also neutered.

Modraszka needs another blood test. On the basis of this test we will have to decide if she is going to have the surgery on Monday.

DSC04761.JPG

Also, Brother Adams went to a Foster Home yesterday, but we think it will soon become his forever home ;)

o_LIFrBb_s.jpg

This is the stone that was removed from Cyzia's bladder. Our vet had difficulties with sewing her up as her muscles are very fragile but she is fine.

DSC05121.JPG

Czesio has liver failure :( There is a risk of fatty degeneration of the organ. Additionally, the level of creatine kinase is very high. This is what happens when a rabbit has an unlimited access to pellet...

DSC04783.JPG

Zuzia's blood test results are bad again and they confirmed we have to do with chronic kidney failure here.

DSC04855.JPG

Hello, it's been quite some time since my last post (I hope some of you are following us on FB).

Azyl is still helping bunnies, we had numerous interventions and managed to save many lives. However, we will probably have to move and decided to buy a house. We would like to create a special home for rabbits (there would be also a special place where our guests could spend a night or two!). I'll just post the summary from our FB account so you can learn more about our crazy idea ;)

Have we lost our minds? Maybe a little, but not entirely. It's time for great changes.

We would like to create a Home for Rabbits.

Seven years ago, we moved in to a reconditioned (with our own hands and due to your donations) room by the animal shelter in Toruń. And we thought it would last forever. For the last 7 years the rabbits under our care have had a safe place, a special room for quarantine and a pen outside. However, the current situation with the shelter and a plan for a temporary bridge to be constructed almost at our gates made us consider moving to another place.

We need a stable situation and a permanent solution, we can't move from place to place with all the rabbits. That is why we decided to buy a house...for rabbits. Actually, we have already paid an advance for it which is 20 000 zlotys.

Why we decided to do it?

Renting a house in Toruń costs about 3000 zlotys a month + media. Business premises or flats were not an option. We need a pen for our rabbits. And anyway, who would agree to rent us a house for 100 rabbits?

In order for our rabbits to have better lives, we decided to buy a small house (a video with this property is linked in the comments - it's in Polish, but you can see all the details
1f642.png
:)). When we first saw we pictures, we knew that's exactly it! This house is almost in the centre of Toruń, so it will be easy for our volunteers to commute there. And, what is also important, it is situated near our vet (only 2 kilometers!).

The house is in a good condition and it doesn't need any great reconditioning. We just need to change the floors (they need to be more rabbit friendly) and probably recondition the bathroom in the future. But we can move in in a week (link to photos also in the commets
1f642.png
:)).

Who will be the owner of the property?
The Foundation (Fundacja Azyl dla Królików) of course.

If you are interested, we have two fundraisers, one on an official Polish website, the other one in the USA.
https://www.gofundme.com/help-to-bu...HrCk6Nk7bwmLUoJvkhXsFgKvLTvd8z1867lZUjGfzUMRo

https://pomagam.pl/en/dom_krolika - the text is summraised above :)

On Sunday, some of the rabbits got lucky and went to their forever homes <3 One of them was Epika.
45364229_1952968168125044_6326357527017553920_n.jpg

Epika (and another female, Liryka) came in to our care in November. There left in front of the entrance to the animals shelter in Toruń...in a hopsack. Their bottoms were covered in urine and they were in bad condition.

Also Sephora, and one of her daughters, Tous, were lucky :)
She came to Azyl with her kits and they used to live in dramatic conditions.

30581614167_edc22864f8_z.jpg
30581614167_edc22864f8_z.jpg

Shiny passed away yesterday. We had been fighting for her for months. Despite different treatments and solutions, she constantly had diarrhea and Rodi Care just passed through her system in an unchanged form.
46551801592_4ec1fa1bd8_z.jpg

Belinda went through the checkup with flying colours. During one year she was fighting with liver and renal failure, had two large abscesses removed from her belly in the autumn.
46879111252_8e36326bdf_z.jpg

Out vet is also happy about Kopiuj (Copy) and Wklej (Paste). Maybe apart from the fact that they should stop acting like vacuum cleaners in the Azyl ;)

Copy

Paste

Lancelot, one our special care rabbits, was put on an antibiotic due to bronchial murmur that was noticed by our vet during the examination.

Ps. Do you want me to post here or is everyone on Facebook? Please, let me know :)

I am very sorry to hear about precious Shiny. She was a fighter. I'm sure she will be greatly missed.

I am thankful for the good report on Belinda and the others.

Thank you. I will post also here, then :)

Abisynia is undergoing a laparotomy today as the stump of her uterus is still enlarged and we can see that she feels some discomfort, even when lying down. Her apetite is also not great and she receives medicines that are to improve the peristalsis.

Dumbo left Azyl and went to his forever home :) His checkup went great. His broken paw has set and despite the problems with this knee cap, he's doing great.

Kevin has a lump that will have to be removed. It is not a typical abscess (our vet did puncture) and it changed after couple days of antibiotics and tarantula venom, but we want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Liryka passed her post procedure chceckup with flying colours. After the tear duct blockage had been removed, her eye looks better and she no longer needs local antibiotics.

Nówka is quite all right but 1 or 2 teeth will have to be removed and her tear duct needs flushing.

No changes in the case of Pikard. He eats dried herbs, his poops are relatively small, but in satisfying numbers ;) But nothing has change in his mouth and he still needs a procedure. This week is the last one of his therapy with ornipural, so we can schedule something for him for the next week.

Shira underwent a procedure on Thursday - a lump had to be removed. It wasn't an abscess yet, but among the tissues, there already signs of pus.

Our vet had no reservations during Telimena's checkup. Afther the procedure of removing the tear duct blockage, her right eye seems fine. Telimena's tear duct is undergoing calcification so the problem will probably be recurring, but there is no need to panic :)

We also had some new adoptions!

Elipsa i Różniczka (called by us Copy and Paste ;)) went to Warsaw, where their future husband, Shaman, had been waiting for them. (Don't worry, all of them are neutered)

And some news from forever homes.
Arnika and Włóczykij (both adopted from Azyl). As you can see, size doesn't matter :)

Sephora with her new friends

Page and her husband (yes, neutered of course ;))

@Dynaheir, So how many rabbits are currently in your facility? I would love to start something like that here in the US. Of course, it won't be for a while, but how hard was it to get started up and what all goes into it?

Wow, what a wonderful thing your shelter does. This thread is definitely my new favorite, I love to see all the bunnies and hear about what is being done to help them. Thank you so much !

@Dynaheir, So how many rabbits are currently in your facility? I would love to start something like that here in the US. Of course, it won't be for a while, but how hard was it to get started up and what all goes into

Well, there is no simple answer to this question. The Founders of the Foundation definitely knew what they were doing as previously, they had been cooperating with other Rescue in Poland. They, the people running the animal shelter in Toruń agreed to make a room available for rabbits and Azyl (a sanctuary for rabbits) was created. But the room looked like this:
DSC02798.JPG

And after all the work, it looked like this:
Azyl%20po%20ok.jpg

But the situation in Poland, when it comes to rabbits, is difficult. There is no public funding so the Rescue is entirely up to donations. Working with so many rabbits is not easy and it is a volunteering job, so nobody receives any remuneration (at least financial, because volunteers get to spend time with many rabbits, see how they are changing, etc.), so it is an additional task, done after regular job or classes.
This year our situation became more difficult becaue there was a new tender for the shelter and a new foundation that wins the bid may be not as welcoming as the previous one. This led to a decision to buy a small house (70m2) for rabbits (I have mentioned this above and here are also some details https://www.gofundme.com/help-to-bu...I5tXsaAIuRY_S_D0WJN5hUtONM2tKD58lCQcHpfW1Nxf0). So running a Rescue is definitely demanding and full of challenges :)

At the moment there are not many rabbits in Azyl - its about 50 rabbits in the Azyl and 20 in foster homes. But usually it's more than 70. Of course, the ones that need constant attention and supersivion cannot stay at home, they are usually staying with one of the volunteers/founders.

Wow, what a wonderful thing your shelter does. This thread is definitely my new favorite, I love to see all the bunnies and hear about what is being done to help them. Thank you so much !

Thank you so much! :)

On Monday, Lawrence was to go for a standard checkup. He had his last health crisis in January but he seemed fine. But then, Ola was trying to take him out from the carrier and she found a lump near his throat and there was fever broke out (41 C degrees). He was examined but there was no doubt - it was an abscess. It wasn't on the jawbone but near his trachea. This was the result of his previous crisis during which bacteria entered the bloodstream. Gentamicin saved his life then. So it turns out that the bacteria present in his body, this time didn't enter the bloodstream but led to the formulation of the abscess. The procedure was very complicated. It surrounded the jugular vein and couldn't be removed with the membrane. The compromised tissues were removed, the wound cleaned and sewn in a way allowing us to disinfect the wound.

Abisynia didn't have to undergo the laparatomy procedure - the swelling subsided a little so we will wait and see.

One week after being neutered, Auriga is in good health.

IMG_7419

Bajka seems fine after the procedure but her right eye is runny and we need to do an x-ray to check the roots. Her third eyelid was also visible during the examination.

Tomorrow, Havana is going to her forever home so we had taken her for a checkup. She is in good health. We managed to resolve the problems with her intestines, her liver has regenerated and her weight is correct now.

all i just see is beautiful personalities and awesome caretaker(s) providing for their need(s) ....

Fortunately, this weekend passed peacefully in Azyl :) We have planned some procedures for this week and we hope for the best.

Dumbo in his forever home.

Wow... I was around when this thread was started over five years ago and I was impressed then at what you did with that crummy room and the amazing difference you were making in these rabbits' lives. It really warms my heart to see that you're still going strong after all this time! So many rabbits have been saved by the vital medical care your organization provides... and even the ones who don't make it, they get to know love and comfort at the end of their lives. Reading their stories brings tears to my eyes! There just aren't words to describe just how amazing you guys are - what you're doing is a heartbreaking labor of love, to be sure.

Beautiful bunnies!
Thank you!

Wow... I was around when this thread was started over five years ago and I was impressed then at what you did with that crummy room and the amazing difference you were making in these rabbits' lives. It really warms my heart to see that you're still going strong after all this time! So many rabbits have been saved by the vital medical care your organization provides... and even the ones who don't make it, they get to know love and comfort at the end of their lives. Reading their stories brings tears to my eyes! There just aren't words to describe just how amazing you guys are - what you're doing is a heartbreaking labor of love, to be sure.

Yes, fortunately Azyl is still going strong although we will probably have to leave the room, we'd put so much work into! And the worst case scenario is that we will have to do it in a month which is quite disconcerting when there are so many rabbits. But! We have to manage, there is no other option.
Thank you so much for your kind words :)

And some news ;)

Kurierka was sent as a courier parcel. Fortunately, when she arrived to Bydgoszcz, Agata learned about the situation and rescued this poor bunny. We have already informed a proper organisation and necessary steps will be taken. She is healthy (apart from slight splay leg and not entirely proper body constraction. She will be neutered and ready for adoption in no time :)

And our new arrival, an overweight girl, her internal organs are surrounded by adopise tissue and the uterus is enlarged. Our vet put her on ornipural and when she looses some weight and is more stable, she needs to be neutered.

Out vet diagnosed City with false pregnancy. She needs to be neutered soon.

After being neutered, Cyryl had some problems - his manly organs were swollen. But now he is better and he doesn't need antibiotics anymore.

Before being adopted, Fobias went for a checkup and he is ready to travel to his new home. His teeth will have to be supervised but he is in good condition.

Lawrence's wound is healing properly and is it unbelivable that he is in such a good condition after the procedure.

Picard lost his apetite and had a fever. Respiratory sounds were normal, his stomach seemed fine, but we are worried that this is caused by pus circulating in his body. We were planning to take care of his teeth, but now, we have to wait for him to stabilise.

Latest posts

Back