Rabbit Rescue in Toru, Poland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynaheir

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I would like to introduce You to one of the Polish Rabbit Rescues. It is the first shelter for rabbits that was created in Poland. It was possible due to the kindness of the Animal Shelter in Toruń that made a room available for the Rescue. At first, the room wasn't encouraging at all:

DSC02798.JPG

DSC02905.JPG

But Girls from the Rescue were able to see a potential in this room and they worked really hard to change it into something that would become a temporary home for many rabbits. Did They succeed? Oh, You can see for Yourselves
icon_smile2.gif

Azyl%20po%20ok.jpg

We call this place "the asylum for rabbits" because they can feel safe there. The shalter is only a temporary place for rabbits and they are put in temporary foster homes, whenever it's possible. Currently, there are 93 rabbits under care of the Rescue.

I will introduce some of the rabbits to You
icon_smile2.gif

Pachino
Pachino and her sister Ethel were given up by a snake owner. They were to serve as a dinner for a snake, so someone broke their legs so as to prevent the from running away. Fortunately for the rabbits, they turned out to be too big for the snake and the owner wanted to get rid of them.
Apart from broken legs, Ethel was healthy and she was adopted soon. However, Pachino suffers from e.cuniculi and she had to be treated.

Pachino_0.JPG

and Ethel
601130_438803672860555_809880770_n.jpg

Karotka (Carrot)
Karotka was taken away from a commercial rabbit breeder during intervention. All of the rabbits (and 53 other rabbits) were in appaling condition. Their fur became one, big tangle and every move was very painful for them. They lived in overcrowded cages that had additional occupants -fungi and maggots. Yesterday she underwent a surgery -she has a purulent infection caused by bacteria. One of her eyes had too be resected.
Rabbits that were confiscated during this intervention had various health problems: abscesses, e.c., syphilis, Staphylococcus aureus, genetic defects and etc.

o_7cgPRG.jpg

Majeranek (Marjoram)
One of the rabbits taken away during another intervention. All rabbits (7) suffered from myxomatosis and were in a really bad condition. They were treated with interferon, among others, and all of them survived which at the time seemed to be impossible.

At first, Majeranek looked like this:
DSC03355.JPG

And now:
0pts.jpg

This is our blog: http://www.azyl.vot.pl/ (it's in Polish but we always try to post the same information on our facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/rabbits.torun).

Good for you looks like you've done an amazing job it's good to see their are still Some decent people in the world ��

Well done what a difference before and after, you're doing a fantastic job. What cute bunnies you have there, Carrot looks adorable and they are all lucky to be with you. So glad there are people out there like you to look out for all those abandoned bunnies :)

Wow, that room looked borderline unusuable - they really did see the potential! It looks like a completely different place now.

The rescue stories break my heart - of the 63 rabbits mentioned in the stories you shared with us, I really doubt even ONE of them would still be alive today if it weren't for your organization. What you guys do as a rescue dramatically alters the course of so many rabbits' lives, giving them a second chance to be healthy, happy and loved when they otherwise would've suffered slow and painful deaths.

To the rabbits you guys save, I imagine you're like guardian angels - they could never put into full thoughts just how grateful they are, but a nose-bonk can say it all! It's obvious that every single bunny life is treasured by those who work at the rescue. Thank you SO much for all you do for them!

:pray: Best of luck in finding "forever homes" for all of them!

Wow! I'm really impressed. That room was a disaster, and so were the buns. You're really making a lot of difference there.

Thank You for all the kind words. The room was indeed a disaster, but it was the only chance to create a special place for rabbits. There is still lack of foster homes for rabbits and many shelters in Poland don't take in the rabbits or don't know how to take care of them. The sanctuary gives possibility to house many unwanted rabbits or those who need special care. Our vet in Toruń is really great and makes wonders for the rabbits.

And now:
A little summary of the past year :)

In 2013, 263 rabbits came in to the Rescue, including: 79 from Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship and 184 from other parts of Poland. 132 rabbits were rehomed and 161 had health issues, like:
- dental problems
- runny eyes (caused not only by abscess but also by nasolacrimal duct obstruction)
- sneezing caused by streptococcus, staphylococcus or pasteurella
- Sarcoptes scabiei, lice
- pododermatitis and other problems with limbs (splay legs, fractures)
- Encephalitozoonosis
- Myxomatosis
- liver or kidneys failure
- overweight, underweight
- rodenticides poisoning
- tumors, internal abscesses

Rabbits are handed in for various reasons or they are found in different places, like dumpster, basement, etc.

Below You will find some photos of our rabbits - some of them are still waiting for adoption/undergoing treatment and some of them were successfully rehomed.

Dymka (Spring onion)
DSC09521.JPG

Hugo
DSC00697.JPG

Tuffi
DSC09666.JPG

Masha
DSC08682.JPG

Kendra
DSC03622.JPG

Poziomka (Wild Strawberry)
DSC06146.JPG

Podgrzybek and Koźlarka
DSC03897.JPG

Gapi
DSC08004.JPG

and Kasztanek (Chestnut)

DSC05985.JPG

Aaaww, all the little bunny tongues! :hyper: They're all such beautiful rabbits - little Dymka especially caught my eye. They all look so well cared for and in great health now, too!

It's amazing to see the transformation from the gross 'before' room to the welcoming and bright 'after' room.

What fantastic pics of all of them. I love Dymka, so adorable and Kendra with those teeth, it did make me laugh. And all those bunny tongues, bring a smile and just make me happy seeing them. They all look so happy and healthy, you have done a fabulous job with all of them. I really do hope they find good homes.

Wow, this was so awesome to read. The rabbit sanctuary that you have managed to create is wonderful. All those rabbits are gorgeous. I wish you all the best in finding them homes.

Unfortunately many of them aren't healthy and some of the bunnies from the photos I posted yesterday are no longer with us :( I am glad that the photos with tongues make You smile - that's their main purpose as the news are not always good.

This year also didn't begin well as Today Pufcia went to the bridge - she stopped breathing during surgery.

DSC01482.JPG

Karotka (Carrot) is not well today. She had high fever today and some neurological symptoms appeared - it is probably encephalitozoonosis. She has a slight head tilt and finds it difficult to stand on her own.

DSC04550.JPG

Gąska (Gosling) is better today and she has exellent apetite (at last!).
DSC04560.JPG

Przebiśnieg (Snowdrop) is after surgery - his inscisors had to be removed. Our vet will also have to remove his molars but we didn't want to do it today. Przebiśnieg needs some time to adjust to new situation.
UPBgj-731rqcEGgsWlmKrepasGJCryFQEl86EqNvejWB=w784-h521-no

Lavender is a healthy female although she is malnourished and there are some signs of muscular distrophy.
DSC04298.JPG

There also two new arrivals:
Bazylia (Basil) - she's overweight, her uterus is enlarged.

DSC04583.JPG

Mięta (Mint) - slightly overweight
DSC04566.JPG

:pray: Poor bunnies... it's awful that some end up so sick or have health issues resulting from a bad diet. At least they're getting the best care possible thanks to your rescue, though!

Binky free, Pufcia :rainbow:

(By the way, I wanted to make a donation but I can't get the "Donate" link on your facebook page to work... is there another way to do it?)

So sorry to hear about the sick buns, thank goodness you guys are able to care for them. At least they are able to experience kindness and love in your hands.

Imbrium, You can find details on our website: (http://www.azyl.torun.pl/darowizny-15.html) or if You prefer PayPal, there is a link a the top of the page (on brown background)

All the details are also in "about" section on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/rabbits.torun/info)

If You still have problems, please PM me :)

Gosling had another surgery yesterday. Her left eye (the only one she has left) was swollen so our wet decided to remove the molars on the left side of her mouth. There is no puss in the eye and the fluid visible during ultrasound examination is blood. She is on meds that are to lower the pressure in the eye.

Carrot's treatment for e.c. can start today - she was getting meds after surgery and there was a risk of interaction.

Basil's ultrasound examination confirmed that she is not pregnant and there are no lesions.

Velvet and Velour were spayed yesterday.
DSC03963.JPG

We also have a new, special resident:
DSC04774.JPG

He was brought to the Sanctuary in a jar...

There are no changes to Carrot's condition which, in this case, is rather positive :)

Gosling's second eye is still swollen but we have to wait.

We also have a new arrival - Fluffy. He came to the Sanctuary from Białystok. Fluffy appears to be 4-6 weeks old but we think he might be older and his appearance might be the result of health problems. His paws are in very unnatural position probably due to some genetic defect. He also had helth crisis - first, his temperature was too low and then too high. Now he is stabilised.

DSC04961.JPG

Fluffy during his dinner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJ8vE3eOtw&feature=youtu.be

Melonik has his dental surgery scheduled for Thursday.
DSC05153.JPG

Spotty and her children got I little present and, as You can see, they are very happy :)
DSC05048.JPG

DSC05050.JPG

Oh my, Fluffy is adorable! Glad to hear that Carrot is stable. Spotty and her children look VERY happy, lol. That is a pretty cool present. Stache and I are sending positive, healing thoughts for Gosling,Melonik, and all the other sick buns.

Yes, he was brought in a jar :( But the good news is that he got adopted and now he can have a happy life :)

This little, blind bun was brought to the Rescue yesterday. He had advanced e.c and inflammatory bowel disease. It was too late for him. Despite medications, he was only getting weaker and weaker, so we had to let him go...

DSC05359.JPG

Devi has GI stasis and she had to undergo a surgery as her condition hasn't been improving. During the surgery, our vet removed a bezoar.
DSC00885.JPG

There are no changes to Gosling's condition, Carrot is also stable.

DSC05422.JPG

Kurt and Carrot met at the vet's and Kurt immediately wet to Carrot's carrier (You can also see Gosling's ears behing Carrot and Kurt):
DSC05432.JPG

Pachno had blood test as we are concerned about her kidneys.
DSC05426.JPG

Fluffy is much better - he is stable. His legs (splay leg) are the effect of genetic disorder and his teeth certainly need trimming.
DSC05397.JPG

DSC05393.JPG

At the vet's: Magda with Fluffy and Marysia with Gosling
DSC05395.JPG

Latest posts

Back