Rabbit refuses to eat hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runa

Reaction score
My rabbit used to eat hay, but now she simply refuses to eat it. There is always unlimited amounts of hay ( the same one she used to eat when she was younger) in her place, but she doesn't seem to be eating anything of it at all. I give her pellets at 6:00pm , and at night i leave her to eat only hay. But when i wake up and go change her bedding, there's almost no droppings. So i guess she simply doesn't recognize hay as food, and i'm afraid i'm letting her starve at night. I've tried everything, changing de cut of the hay (first, second, third), tried mixing herbs whitin it and give her fresh hay everyday (at least i think it's fresh, it has a strong smell and i store it in a dry and protected place, so it can last longer). In my city unfortunately there's only one type of grass hay, so i can't give her another type of grass. I took her to the vet and he said she's very healthy, but i'm still concerned about why isn't she eating even tho there is no other food available (for example at night)

Did your vet do an x-ray on the molars and check them for spurs. Often refusing to eat hay is because the molar have gotten spurs and the bunny will feel pain when eating hay.

Bunnies chew differently when they eat hay and grass than other food. Which often is the first thing they ignore when they get teeth problems.

You can try giving your bunny fresh grass and see if she will eat it. Also is the vet a rabbit savy vet, refusing hay and changed food habits is something to look deeper into.

Is your vet qualified to treat rabbits? Did he use an otoscope to look in her mouth at absolute minimum to check for spurs? When rabbits chew hay they use a grinding back&forth motion with their molars and if it they have spurs it can cause too much discomfort. Make sure you are confident that your vet ruled out spurs and other tooth issues.

Latest posts

Back