Rabbit red pee.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppaYipYip

Reaction score
Hello. I am currently new to the forum just made a new account to ask a question. Both me and my girlfriend got a bunny. My bunnies name is Appa and hers is Casper. Recently we got them neutered and Appa stayed me and Casper went with her as he lives in her house. She noticed red peeish color on her bunny (Casper) and got scared it was blood. I am currently writing this forum as I do not know if it is blood or not. So far casper refuses to eat Hay but drinks water and eats any other food. Here is the picture of his pee. Please help we are both worried. We do know that rabbits pee color changes and do not want to waste money on an emergency vet as we are both broke college students.
Casper pee.jpg

Are there streaks of blood in his pee? If not it is just the pigment in the urine. He really needs to eat timothy hay. You can fill some toilet paper rolls with hay, or fill some other toys with hay to make it more interesting.

Normal pee colour is from slight yellow to dark brown, with the red Pee Of Horrors in between. As long as it is one colour, not streaks, clots or spots it's normal.

What food does he eat, and how much? And what was he used to before, if he doesn't eat hay (any kind of grass hay is fine) now. Food changes can change the pee colour.

How recently did the get neutered? I would guess that for a week or so it would be quite normal that they are not back to normal, also with being somewhere else.
I have some dried stuff for special occasions like this, like nettles, butterbur, dandelion, narrowleaf plantain, yarrow. You might be able to find some of that, dry some (car dashboard when it's sunny, oven, heating...) and add it to his hay if he keeps not eating hay - depends on what he does it, if it's a lot of grass, no worrys. Introducing grass slowly if he isn't used to it could be another way to introduce some fiber to his diet.

Latest posts

Back