Rabbit Quality

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamaldanny

Reaction score
Can rabbit being classified as pet or brood or show quality as early as 2 weeks old??...any explanations...

Depends on your stock, the pedigrees, your experience, and so on.

Although, at 2 weeks you can say nothing about their characters. And I guess pretty much all breed specific points of interesst aren't developed either, some may, like colours, but the only thing I see at 2 weeks if something is seriously off. (I only breed mutts though, so no expert on breed standards)

Nope. You need to wait until the body develops more. 12 weeks, or 8 weeks at the earliest, is when I start looking at type. If somebody is selling a rabbit as show quality for younger than that I wouldn't buy from them.

How about the term "promising " in kits...from what age they can be identified mostly??.and are they will turn to be great as promises???

Yes and no.

Yes because breeders can determine if the rabbit is a showable color, and if it has good lines / is pedigreed. Certain colorings or markings are not showable.

No because good type will need to be assessed when the rabbit is older (5+ weeks, in my opinion). No breeder can ever guarantee the rabbit will go on to win shows, but using the word "promising" is a very good sign (if the breeder knows what they are talking about) and most likely the rabbit will be good type when it grows up and into itself.

Latest posts

Back