rabbit pregnant??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two female rabbits that are bonded. One is spayed and the other is not. I fear that the un-spayed one is pregnant (long story). She has been building a nest the last couple of days, so if she is, the kits will be coming soon. This was un-planned and I have never had my rabbits give birth before. My first question is...Do I need to separate the two females? Will the spayed female pose a threat to the kits? I am thinking I will need to do this; but, just want an expert opinion. Again, I am new to all this. If I do separate them, how long do I need to separate? I am thinking just putting a "fence" halfway between their area. This way they will still be "together" without the spayed female having access to the kits.
Please advise...any advice is greatly welcomed at this point. I am very nervous about the whole thing.

I have two female rabbits that are bonded. One is spayed and the other is not. I fear that the un-spayed one is pregnant (long story). She has been building a nest the last couple of days, so if she is, the kits will be coming soon. This was un-planned and I have never had my rabbits give birth before. My first question is...Do I need to separate the two females? Will the spayed female pose a threat to the kits? I am thinking I will need to do this; but, just want an expert opinion. Again, I am new to all this. If I do separate them, how long do I need to separate? I am thinking just putting a "fence" halfway between their area. This way they will still be "together" without the spayed female having access to the kits.
Please advise...any advice is greatly welcomed at this point. I am very nervous about the whole thing.

Sounds like a false pregnancy to me. Perhaps the spayed female was trying to assert her dominance a bit and the unspayed female misinterpreted it and now thinks she is pregnant. Without access to a intact male I don't think your female rabbit is pregnant.

I really hope it is a false pregnancy, she has had several before. But, this time I fear it is real. I adopted a male about a month ago. He had been neutered only two weeks before, and his hormones were definitely still going strong. I had him in a separate area to avoid this. However, the little devil escaped one night. I didn't think anything of it until my female started building a nest. He was running and playing just outside the females exercise pen when he escaped his area. So, I really hope it is a false pregnancy; but, there is a large chance this is the real thing. :oops:

But if there was an intact male that came in direct contact of your rabbit than your rabbit may very well be pregnant. You should palpate your rabbit to feel for small grape sized lumps in her abdomen to see. If you don't know how you should check out some videos on youtube to find out how.

On the separating thing I don't have a solution for this type of situation, but since the other female is spayed I would assume it would be ok but just incase I would 'shelf' the kits and only take them down for twice daily feedings. It will be a bit more work but you can then minimize territorial behaviors.

Since we posted at the same time I didn't see your post but the above is a good solution that implies to your situation. I might also add that you should monitor your rabbit for labor closely incase the other female reacts negatively. Also you might want to add a nest box in with your rabbit since she is starting to nest.

I tried to palpate her last night. I didn't feel anything. So, I watched a few U-tube videos and tried again. Still I didn't feel anything. However, this doesn't mean much. I am not an expert and have never done it before. So, I must wait and see I guess.

I do like the "shelf" idea. That would be much easier than separating them. I would just have to move the nest. i gave her a nest box; but, she insisted on building her nest in the corner of the room under a "box house". So, it is just on the floor of the room basically. I could easily move it to a box and keep it warm and then she can feed twice a day.

You need to separate them, because the mom might eat the babies if she feels threatened by the other female. Do not move the pregnant rabbit or her nest. Remove the other female and move her to a new cage.

Well if you want you can put the female in a separate location while she is feeding her kits. Though in colony breeding situations these issues are minimal so it shouldn't be a problem.

thanks everyone for the advice. I will just have to wait and see what happens. I am just really hoping it is a false pregnancy; but, I fear it is not. I'll have to see how both react to the whole situation when they are born. I just keep watching her like a hawk in the meantime. I want to be there for her when it happens so I can help if she needs it and also to protect her if the other female tries anything funny.

I really appreciate the quick replies and the help.

I don't seperate, at least not for more than some hours when the time comes. I keep my breeding does in pairs, they are social animals. When one gives birth the other stays away, somewhat confused actually. I don't think a spayed doe will act much different.

My setup is that each pair has two connected hutches, so that they have the opportunity to leave the other alone, get out of sight if they feel like it. Never had a doe interfere with the other does nest.

thank you so much Preitler. I feel much better. I was worried about breaking their bond if I had to separate. My spayed doe doesn't both her nests with the false pregnancies, so hopefully that doesn't change.
I am feeling much better about this whole thing since reading these posts. Thanks everyone for your support. I don't feel so alone in this anymore. :)

Latest posts

Back