Rabbit pregnancy tummy movement

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is pregnancy, so I wouldn't be worried.
So it’s been 11 days since I first noticed she was pregnant. The last three days she’s eaten but not her usual amount . Just a few nibbles.. she keeps making nests by scratching/digging and throwing everywhere. No hay in her mouth though. And no sign of fur yet.. hoping she’s due soon

still no babies.. she had 2 liters of babies inside her. and should be due sometime this week with her actual litter. the other ones died bc they were early. she has been having stomach movements though which was what i was worried about. i didn’t know if she was stressed in the cage she was in so i moved her to a big dog kennel

Moving her might stress her out more. I would not move here back to the old cage, but move EVERYTHING that was in her original cage, into the new cage. Don't mess with her. Rabbits like to give birth in the dark and quiet. You can drape a blanket over the cage to make it darker.

i have her in my room inside right now because i think it would be too cold outside in my hutch for the babies. i will put a blanket over the dog kennel

Does she have a proper nestbox, and lots of hay, heaps of hay?

Apart from those items stop meddling. Really, calm down.
A lot of problems regarding pregnant does I read about here seem to come from nervous people meddling. Rabbits usually are good at that when allowed to listen to their instincts.

You don't have to do anything now if she has a nestbox and hay. She would have been fine outside if it isn't below freezing (even then I keep them outdoors, but I add some heating to the nestbox), but keep her where she is now. Moving her to and fro an changing her setup continously is stressing her big time, it just drones out that little voice in her head, her instincts, trying to tell her what to do next. What she needs now is quite, privacy and food.

When you see that she starts nestbuilding and plucking fur, keep an eye on her, when she goes into labour be around, check every hour once she pulled fur, just peek, but don't do anything as long nothing goes wrong. Those are long nights, set an alarm.

If kits are born outside of the nest, put them in there. If they are cold, warm them up before putting them in there.
If there is no proper nest, make one out of hay and the fur she pulled. If there's no or little fur you an add cotton wool, dryer lint, etc. , the kits should be well covered.
When she's done, clean out or replace wet stuff. Then leave her alone, apart from daily chores and checks for two days. Unlimited food then.

I'm breeding for 8 years now, but I couldn't tell apart what are kit or digestion movements (can't see the video). If that litter does not work out that would be strike three, and out. Most breeders remove does from breeding then, because pretty likely there's something wrong with her that should not be given to offspring.

Last edited:
i put hay in with my rabbit and she pulled out hair and moved the hay out of the nesting box in a corner. i don’t know if she’s gonna have her babies today or if i should move everything back in the nesting box ?

Imho, no. She has chosen that spot. You could put the nesting box where the nest is, put the nest into it if she isn't in labour already or is always around there. In that case, just leave her alone, let her do her thing without disturbing her.

A nest in a corner isn't bad, you can put a 3-4" barrier around it later on, just don't meddle too much with a doe trying to listen to that little voice that are her instincts.

Latest posts

Back